[BBC News] Island stages bat-related events

Newsbot

Aren't they protected? (Not from Sarah sticking her fingers in their eyes.) So we can't kill them, so why not try to admire them. I think they are ace little creatures, I have only ever seen one in the wild and that was in Spain years ago. Can anyone tell me the last time a bat infected someone on the island with rabies?

Islanders are being invited to take part in a bat walk and listen to a talk to mark European Bat Weekend.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6962522.stm

I've been on a bat walk in England and it was fascinating tracking their movements with a bat detector machine.

I would thoroughly recommend a bat walk to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

We went this evening, it was so interesting and I realised that things that I had before thought were birds up too late or big moths were actually bats. They are very difficult to see as their appearances are fleeting; as soon as you are aware of them, they are gone. I didn't realise that there are seven species found on the Island!

Although I doubt I will take it up as a hobby, I might just get one of those detectors and use it when walking the dogs one evening.

A very pleasant and interesting evening, I would recommend it. I didn't manage to poke one in the eye though, nor did I snog one, so no risk of rabies!

I soooo really want to have a go at the triviality of this BBC fed report except I know a family who used to be really into bats on the Island and so I feel a little bit disloyal having a go. The bats seemed to give them so much pleasure.

Understand your point %age, but without this thread I would have been unaware. It is also part of a wider programme of bat walks throughout the British Isles, so I suppose is newsworthy in that, locally, we are participating in something wider.

It was a really pleasant evening; no matter what the subject, I really admire anyone who is loves their subject, is authoritive and wants to share it with dumb-asses like me! There must have been 50 or 60 people there, which isn't bad turnout.

Yep, as I hinted, I know a lovely family into bats on the Island. I am sure it is an ace* thing to do.

But that said I still think it is super that the highly paid and world leading BBC have considered it a newsworthy item. Still, their presence on the Island has to be 'justified'**

*ace is an ace word again btw

** overly use of single inverted commas is back too

edited to add my quote from another thread:

These clowns are being paid a healthy sum to feed us this drivel so that the BBC can come to a foreign country and justify lifting £Mmillions per year from us.

Archived