5.1 Surround On The 360

Chopsticks

I'd be asking for trouble with this 'cause Turnip Jnr would probably take too keen an interest in the rear speakers, but Bioshock has made me seriously consider it.

At the minute I have a basic 2.1 setup, (left, right, sub), it's a decent set of Creative speakers, and isn't too shabby (cost £100), delivers a really good sound.

I've never dabbled with surround sound before, so how does it work?

Do I need a special amp for starters?

Does the 360 output some kind of 5.1 jiggery pokery that I could plug directly into an amp that would be supplied with a set of 5.1 speakers? (IIRC the 360 just has a basic red and white (left and right) sound output?)

I only watch DVDs using the 360 anyway, and I never watch telly so I'm not arsed about that, so it's purely just a case of getting a 5.1 output from my 360, and into a set of 5.1 speakers.

I'm a total 5.1 n00b - so simple explanations please :D

That looks very nice, cheers for the link, however, I still don't understand which wires from the 360 you connect to it?

The 360 just has the component video wires (three of them) and left + right speaker wires, do those two wires carry the whole 5.1 signal? I thought you need extra wires to carry the centre and rear channels and suchlike?

That looks very nice, cheers for the link, however, I still don't understand which wires from the 360 you connect to it?

The 360 just has the component video wires (three of them) and left + right speaker wires, do those two wires carry the whole 5.1 signal? I thought you need extra wires to carry the centre and rear channels and suchlike?

The compenent lead that comes with the 360 will do fine.(the one with five connections)

I've got mine connected up to my dvd player input and it works great

You connect the red, blue and green to your tv and the other two, red and white to the input of your 5.1 system.

The red and the white leads carry the 5.1 signal.

This doesn't seem very clear the way i've wrote, hope it helps

If you look at the bit on the component lead where it plugs into the 360 there is a small plug.

You just plug the optical lead into it and run that to the amp.

All speaker leads run from the sub woofer

A-ha!

OK then, for my final dimwitted question - does the optical lead come with the speakers or does one have to purchase it separately?

And is it like a one size-fits-all arrangement for such leads, or do Microsoft have their own bonkers standard (like with the 360 wireless)?

Muchos grasssyarse for the help :)

The compenent lead that comes with the 360 will do fine.(the one with five connections)

You connect the red, blue and green to your tv and the other two, red and white to the input of your 5.1 system.

Feel free to correct me on this if I am wrong but that sounds to me like you are getting standard stereo sound converted to Dolby Pro-Logic by your DVD player rather than true 5.1 surround sound.

The difference between the 2 can be massive at times

Feel free to correct me on this if I am wrong but that sounds to me like you are getting standard stereo sound converted to Dolby Pro-Logic by your DVD player rather than true 5.1 surround sound.

The difference between the 2 can be massive at times

Yes i think that is probably what is happening, i just thought i was getting 5.1 that way, so if i connect it via an optical cable i will notice the difference?

I just got a kit off amazon

Linkage

Plus an optical cable to connect to the 360 and away you go.

I'm sure AV enthusiasts will say you need a soopah doopah amp and posh speakers to get the best experience but for an all in one box setup this does the business perfectly for me

I got the Z5500 and I have to agree that the sound from these babies is superb.

Just plug in optic cable and 5.1 away you go.

(word of warning tho, the sub woofer isn't small, its a beast, so make sure you have the space or more importantly the missus's approval.

Heh, since when has that ever bothered you? In addition, Chopley, the sub is supposed to be 2ft away from things like tvs and games consoles.

I've just been playing bio shock for the last 2 hours with ours on and the creepy splicer voices follow you around, depending which way you're facing, makes it well scary. imo. But then it took me 3 attempts to step out of the bathysphere at the start....

Archived