[BBC News] Man, 20, dies in road collision

Newsbot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont think the name been confirmed or anything yet, i'm pretty much going off what iv'e been told by a good friend.

But Yea, i knew him... went to school together few years back, used to see him every now and then in town.

Rest in peace oatsie mate.

Inspector Derek Flint, from the Isle of Man's Roads Policing Unit, said: "This is another tragic loss of a young life.

"This also serves as a timely reminder to us all of the care that needs to be taken on our roads during the Manx Grand Prix."

someone dies... and the police immediately use his death as an 'example' for road safety during grand prix time. Pathetic.

Thank you for that timely reminder Derek Flint. Perhaps his parents will appreciate and learn from it.. !! :mellow:

I never thought I would ever say this, but well said DjDan.

What on earth has this got to do with the Manx Grand Prix?

Oh yeah, I forgot, 'they' want to let us all know that they know that Grand Prix and TT's are evil and so are bikers and so must be stopped.

Apologies for the cynicism, but there is well intentioned thrust behind it.

Sorry to hear there has been a fatal accident. My thoughts are with the family and friends concerned. Aye, I have been there before.

someone dies... and the police immediately use his death as an 'example' for road safety during grand prix time. Pathetic. Thank you for that timely reminder Derek Flint. Perhaps his parents will appreciate and learn from it.. !! :mellow:
I'm sure that Insp Flint would have been on the radio throughout the whole of MGP telling motorists to take more care during the MGP. He was being interviewed and quite rightly in my opinion used the opertunity to try and get the road safety message across.

The Police over here are actively working with the "younger drivers" by putting on "Crash Reduction Roadshows" etc showing people getting cut out of cars, remains of cars that people have died in (with the support of the victims family) and making the people aware of the number of people affected by a road death. They are getting the message across.

I'm sure that in this case, the family won't mind if it can help save another set of parents having to be woken up in the middle of the night to tell them that their son or daughter won't be coming home again. Families of other young people killed on the roads are usually extremely supportive of the Police in trying to get the road safety message across.

Whilst in this case I expect that their is no connection with the MGP, there is more traffic on the roads, foreign bikers who get their left and right confused and so if him saying this makes one person think "as I drive around the this blind bend, I'll slow down a little in case someone is on the wrong side of the road" then I think he has done his job.

Thanks for your explanation andrew, I see the point. Equally though, the insp. could have said that the tragic accident was not connected with the MGP. I do see though, that it is difficult whatever he says.

Will this tragedy be allocated to the Manx Grand Prix statistics this year, as I suppose would be the biker's death on Richmond Hill during this year's TT?

I knew Oatsie very well and this is a terrible tradgy, he was an amazing guy and i'll never forget him. But it has come to my attention that 'police' (I don't think) will never help make the roads safer. I have lost over 6 mates over here on these roads and it makles me sick to hear that police are still saying how it's another example of a tragic event! When will something be done about it??

Rest In Peace Oatsie

Archived