Mannin Line Tomorrow

GI James

It needs to be said that Manx Radio is " THE MOST LISTENED TO INDEPENDENT RADIO STATION IN THE BRITISH ISLES " per head of population which is a reflection of our excellent community, news and information content. This is not "Hearsay " or "The Bush Telegraph" this is FACT .

If I listen to Manx Radio for 10 minutes in the morning to catch the 8am news and then listed to 3fm for the rest of the day, or just turn the radio off, would I be classified as a Manx Radio listener?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really have an opinion on the whole Manx Radio thing as I just don't listen to it, but I'm curious as to how the 'Most listened..' to status is verified. I know how they do it with televisions, but I wasn't aware of a similar thing for radios and with the number of different devices capable of receiving radio transmission, it wouldn't be feasable.

Do they just straw poll people in the street and ask them if they listen then multiply their sample group to get an overall estimate? I know I've never been asked and a quick headcheck round here and nobody else has.

Some info at http://www.rajar.co.uk/index.cfm

Apparently the figures are extrapolated from survey data.

(Statistics is a flaky science IMO!)

If I listen to Manx Radio for 10 minutes in the morning to catch the 8am news and then listed to 3fm for the rest of the day, or just turn the radio off, would I be classified as a Manx Radio listener?
Yes.

It needs to be said that Manx Radio is " THE MOST LISTENED TO INDEPENDENT RADIO STATION IN THE BRITISH ISLES " per head of population which is a reflection of our excellent community, news and information content. This is not "Hearsay " or "The Bush Telegraph" this is FACT .
This doesn't seem to mean much. Obviously very few people in Devon or Kent listen to Manx Radio. Where as some people on the IOM probably listen to Virgin, Talk or Classic FM.

I'm guessing that he missed out the word "local".

Yes.

Kinda makes it a bit of a crap claim then. I wonder how many other people just listen to the morning news or Mannin Line and then listen to another station or turn the radio off? Categorising them as Manx Radio listeners on the basis of maybe 15 minutes catching local headlines during the day seems a bit tenuous

I'm guessing that he missed out the word "local".

I'd agree. There must be independent radio stations in the UK with far higher listening figures

Do they just straw poll people in the street and ask them if they listen then multiply their sample group to get an overall estimate? I know I've never been asked and a quick headcheck round here and nobody else has.

No they go next-door-but-one to the varius djs. and maybe the Dougklas Head car park. I want to meet all these people who have answered a poll.

My mate got asked about smoking in Strand street (fare enougfh he got his picture in the paper) but he couldn't stop telling everyone about it for weeks. If some poll asked my opinion about manx Radio (which believe it or not isn;'t that bad) I would let friends and family know. FACT.

(I like that phrase, its very convincing)

What i can't be doing with is spinslimeandsleeze. a bit hard that i know but it sounds good, the spin bit is right enough from Manx radio just now though. We're not all daft manx govags you know.

thanks chuftie and FCMR

(Someone told me its rude to mix up your initials FC, but I thought it was a good shared laugh wasn't it?)

edited to say that i meant thanks crumlin.

FAO Doric

<Post edited after complaint by user. Please keep personal information off the forum>

It was good to hear from an inlaw of one of our top MHKs on the Mannin Line yesterday, But it was not nice of Mr Pugh to say that *** had no say in what happens cos they dont live here, So Manx people living away should not have an interest in Island affairs, Mr Pugh they have more right than you, your only a visitor to our shores.

I moved to the Island because I loved it and work for Manx Radio because I am proud to be involved with, for my money the best radio station in the British Isles and I have extensive experience of others. We have a team of really good people who care passionately about what they do and what we broadcast. this includes alot behind the scenes who you never hear.

Off topic a little.

This post got me thinking. How many people can say they would honestly be this enthusiastic about their own job. It is a rare thing nowadays.

If Chris believes what he is saying, and from his tone, I believe he does, then he should know what he is talking about. He works there - we don't. Both he and Stu keep telling us about the new format of MR and keep asking us to give it a go. I think we should do just that and maybe reserect this post again in a month, to say what we think.

In qustion time tomorrow the question is going to be asked if the downsizing of Mannin Line had anything to do with political pressure. Let's see what the answer is .... although they aren't likely to admit it if there was! :ph34r:

T**t.

stars by Declan

I sincerely hope you will do the same with Slim's post from a day or two ago when he called a member a twat. That would be fair and balanced and the sign of good moderation. Wouldn't it Declan? Seems a shame to single out a new poster just because he doesn't seem to move in esteemed circles.

Alternatively, perhaps he didn't see it? We can't physically read every single post so we just do our best and rely on users using the 'Report' button underneath every post if you think there's something we need to look at.

I've just done a search and the only other two instances of the word are back in June so either Slim's post was moderated after you saw it, or you're mistaken. If you find it, feel free to flag it up.

Archived