[BBC News] Plea for more Grand Prix marshals

Newsbot

it's always been this way and always will as it's a volunteer based system... the "popular" spots will attract people wanting to get a good view by being a marshal or having a power trip in the orange vest. The problem is up on the mountain where it's cold and exposed and just you and the sheep. I love it up there but it's not everyones tastes

it's always been this way and always will as it's a volunteer based system... the "popular" spots will attract people wanting to get a good view by being a marshal or having a power trip in the orange vest. The problem is up on the mountain where it's cold and exposed and just you and the sheep. I love it up there but it's not everyones tastes

Yes perhaps its time that the organisers paid the marshall a small fee for their services. That way they could request additional cover in quiet areas. To be fair places like Ballacrain are fairly built up areas, walking distance for a lot of marshalls. Any marshalls who did not want to accept a fee (probably the majority) could request for it to be donated to the helicopter fund.

Yes perhaps its time that the organisers paid the marshall a small fee for their services. That way they could request additional cover in quiet areas. To be fair places like Ballacrain are fairly built up areas, walking distance for a lot of marshalls. Any marshalls who did not want to accept a fee (probably the majority) could request for it to be donated to the helicopter fund.

In a word - NO

So many problems with paying marshals - the responsibility issues... the employment law situation it'd be a minefield and a half...

The issue with telling marshal's where to be is that people will simply refuse to marshal at all ending up with even less marshals

This now appears to be coming a perpetual problem. We have calls for a few weeks now and the same last year. One of the reasons for the cancelling of morning practice sessions in the TT was the struggle to get Marshall numbers.

These appeals would appear to be a short term solution and will be an embarresment if they go on year after year especially if they are not succesful and a race or practice is cancelled. Such action would probably cause a jump in numbers in the short term but I would suggest that if the MGP etc and other motorsport events on the Island are to continue somebody has to come up with an idea and a plan to resolve the issue. We can not continue to rely on visiting spectators to be marshal.

Myself I will not be marshalling as I am not "into" motorsport in a big way and I have posted on other threads my views on the TT et. However even if that was not the case I think I would be reluctant to take a day of my holiday entitlement to marshall. That is without considering meetings already arranged and employers agreeing for holidays at short notice.

Also never having marshaled before I would be slightly reluctant to be sent out onto the course having only watched a video and no other training. I appreciate that the appeals state that under such circumstances we wil be put with experienced marshalls to wath and learn but I struggle to reconcile that with the appeal for more Marshalls as if they are struggling for numbers do they have the luxury with appointing first timers with experienced marshalls. I presume they need to be spread out at specific spots rather than all lumped together

So.........how many mf members are going down today to sign up?? What we need are actions, not words.

So.........how many mf members are going down today to sign up?? What we need are actions, not words.

I appreciated your plea Grant but the MGP and the TT are both events that rely on enthusiasts and without them there would (will?) be nothing. I get 21 days holiday a year I don't intend to spend a week of it halfway up the mountain, particularly if I could end up in cuffs in the back of a Transit on suspicion of manslaughter if there's an accident.

Times have changed and unfortunately you have a double whammy of people not having the time to volunteer, and those that would being scared off by increasing health and safety red tape, and worsening legal liabilities.

If the MGP and TT are so "essential" to manx tourism and the great money spinners for the economy that we are all told they are, then there should be central funding to pay marshalls and others who currently give their time, improved resourses to make sure training is at the highest standards, and proper liability and legal cover for those on the course - maybe then people would give more time and energy.

The fact is though that these events are held on the cheap, and will die as the volunteer culture they still have as a hang over from the 60's and 70's comes to an end.

So many problems with paying marshals - the responsibility issues... the employment law situation it'd be a minefield and a half...

The issue with telling marshal's where to be is that people will simply refuse to marshal at all ending up with even less marshals

But if they're getting paid surely it means they're better protected insurance-wise? Line managers can track them properly and the whole thing becomes more professional.

And I'm talking about marshals who do it all year, keeping up their experience and training, not necessarily just bunging someone who does it twice over TT a few quid.

I am of the opinion that a number of marshal only sign-on to get a better view of the races.

Last Senior race day, I went with my daughter to watch the Lap of Honour at Signpost, which was delayed due to the accident at the26th. We stood ,along with other spectators, behind the orange plastic fencing on the exit of the corner. only to witness spectators climb over the fence and sit on the hedge. All this under the noses of at least six marshals sat on sun chairs on the corner. Non of whom made any attemp to get up and move these peolple who were in a dangerous area.

If this is the standard of marshalling, I for one would not want to be involved.

can anybody please confirm that sector and flag marshals are already paid, per race. if so how long has this been going on, what sort of percentage of marshals are we talking and why has it been kept such a secret?

i was wondering why some old guy on the moaning line the other day was so pissed off that after he reached a certain age he could be a marshal but no longer a flag marshal; seems his empty pocket may have been the reason?

thank you

Archived