The Return Of Tarring And Feathering

bluemonday

Apart from everything else that's wrong with that, it should be pointed out that the Ulster Defence Association, who the article alledges were behind this act, are or have been heavily involved with drug trafficking as well - it's quite possibly less a case of moral outrage on their part than it is a simple matter of sorting out someone who was dealing on their turf (if we accept that this man actually is a drug dealer, and not just someone who got on the wrong side of the UDA).

A hypocritical terrorist organization, who would have thought it.

I am surprised so much has been said against this act. From the articles I have read about it (Times, BBc etc) it seems that the community had approached the police and nothing was getting done. It seems fair to me that he got that, both highly visible punishment and lets face it, a lot more than the police & legal system had dished out to him.

Its still an improvement on the previous ways they these organisations have dealt with this type of thing, i.e. blowing their kneecaps off

I am surprised so much has been said against this act. From the articles I have read about it (Times, BBc etc) it seems that the community had approached the police and nothing was getting done. It seems fair to me that he got that, both highly visible punishment and lets face it, a lot more than the police & legal system had dished out to him.

Instances of people taking the law into their own hands in general are always to be treated with concern, never mind when those people happen to be members of a notorious group of armed thugs who are guilty of the same crimes (and worse) that the man in question is accused of having committed. What's worse is that it's unlikely that they're misguidedly acting for the benefit of the community, but simply exercising and strengthening their control over those areas they deem "theirs".

Medieval really, and I think VK is right, it is the modern equivalent of 'droite de seigneur' for thugs.

It was a common punishment up until very recently (I would say 1970's) for perceived collaborators with the British, a republican rather than a loyalist punishment.

I feel sorry for the people that have to get that mess off. Providing they got the right man, then the thousands and thousands of people whos lives have been tragically affected by illegal drugs, (not only the users, but family, friends and victims of the users) probably won't feel too much sympathy here.

Archived