[BBC News] Youth bailed over BB gun incident

Newsbot

In my day no one would have ever called the police on a kid with a toy gun...oh how times have changed.

I think that given recent events it was a decent shout....its just a pretty sad indictment of modern society that we would now consider that a kid could in fact be carrying a real fire arm.

What wrong with a tree branch and a nah nah nah sound....that always worked for me!!

or run to the tube station when in London.

How many bullets did the poor man get, 10 or 11 and no-one charged over executing - for want of a better word - a totally innocent man.

Dangerous times indeed..................

I think that given recent events it was a decent shout....its just a pretty sad indictment of modern society that we would now consider that a kid could in fact be carrying a real fire arm.

Thats basically what I was saying WSAG, tis really awful.

I also doubt that generally they would these days but the BB guns are generally full scale replicas firing some sort of pellet and are quiet capable of hurting somebody. In the USA there are on average 4 deaths a year arising from BB guns.

In the main I think they should be used for target shooting but it seems that various Chavs have used them in recent times to take pot shots at people, cars etc. I have no idea what this 15 year old was doing walking around town with a BBgun but I for one would be extremely wary of a youth carrying one as whilst I might not presume it was a real gun I might well presume that they have might have dodgy intentions.

In my day no one would have ever called the police on a kid with a toy gun...oh how times have changed.

I have no idea what this 15 year old was doing walking around town with a BBgun but I for one would be extremely wary of a youth carrying one as whilst I might not presume it was a real gun I might well presume that they have might have dodgy intentions.

Well the stupid little tit deserves whatever charge they come up with - what sort of moron walks around pointing toy guns at people in Douglas. Bet he thought he looked well cool in those few minutes before the armed response team turned up.

a few years ago I was on the bus into Douglas just near the corner past the NSC when some young moron took a potshot at the window with a high powered air gun - the person in front of me was injured in the face ,very luckily not her eyes, by the glass from the damaged window, no doubt some Pulrose parent had thought it an ideal toy for their offspring .

I also doubt that generally they would these days but the BB guns are generally full scale replicas firing some sort of pellet and are quiet capable of hurting somebody. In the USA there are on average 4 deaths a year arising from BB guns.

On this side of the pond the vast majority of 'BB guns' generally are not capable of hurting people. Yes many are replicas and fullscale but are mainly legally classed as 'toy' guns (until you mess around in public) despite their ominous appearance, and are quite safe. This is of course aside from some BB guns that are more US in style, ie the ones that fire metal (generally copper/steel) BBs and require C02 gas cylinders to power them. These generally are powerful enough to be legally classed as airguns and have a much greater potential for harm. These should not be on sale to anyone without a license (regulated weapons certificate) by law.

Most 'BB' guns on sale in the UK/IOM are not 'proper' BB guns at all by the standards of what is common in the US. The majority of those available to buy over here(/UK) are what's known as airsoft guns, and aside from being shot in the eye they are perfectly harmless and absolutely incapable of causing more than a slight sting, never mind death.

They are however very realistic replicas and unfortunately widely available on the high street, so that anyone (that thinks walking round with guns in public is cool) can buy them without restriction aside from voluntary age restrictions by the sellers.

A long long time ago I used to do the same as some others on here and go out and play with this kind of thing with my friends in places like plantations etc where you'd keep yourselves to yourselves and be jolly polite to anyone else you spotted and make sure you didn't frighten them or get in their way. And it was all fine back then.

No-one batted an eyelid and people used to look bemused at worst, if they weren't actually curious and keen to know more. Those days are gone now though and everyone knows it including youngsters. Anyone waving what appears to be a gun around these days in public knows what to expect so woe betide anyone stupid enough to still do so.

It's sad that kids (and big kids) are no longer able to effectively go out and play 'Cowboys & Indians' etc, but that's how it is these days. :(

Well the stupid little tit deserves whatever charge they come up with - what sort of moron walks around pointing toy guns at people in Douglas. Bet he thought he looked well cool in those few minutes before the armed response team turned up.

Exactly!, This wasn't just a "toy gun" as people put it, This was a replica firearm, Obviously if you see anyone waving what looks like a real gun your going to call the police.

Archived