Did You Know ?

citizen

You're relatively new here so you may not know this but the forum has been held accountable for the views expressed of individual members earlier this year.

It didn't go to court but it still cost the poster concerned, and the forum itself, a considerable amount of money.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're relatively new here so you may not know this but the forum has been held accountable for the views expressed of individual members earlier this year.

It didn't go to court but it still cost the poster concerned, and the forum itself, a considerable amount of money.

Thanks for that mission, I didn't know!

Still seems wrong though ?

Well sadly there's not a lot that can be done about that. The admin/moderation team will quite rightly err on the side of caution due to past events - otherwise there's no forum and I don't think any of us want that.

How can M/F be held responsible for the views of an individual??

It isn't, but proving it isn't costs lots of money time and grief. Manx Radio wouldn't let you say stuff it knows will result in legal action either, they'd cut you off pretty sharpish.

Yoy can't say what you like on here ??

What a pisser ,it's one of the main reasons I joined!

You can say a lot, but sometimes you have to think of the possible consequences before posting something - common sense...

You can say a lot, but sometimes you have to think of the possible consequences before posting something - common sense...

Not really, common sense says to me that the internet is all about freedom of speech and all that. Seems quite pathetic that someone would attempt to sue a FORUM over a members views and opinions, I mean lets face it, we all understand that what a user says is there own view right?

Not really, common sense says to me that the internet is all about freedom of speech and all that. Seems quite pathetic that someone would attempt to sue a FORUM over a members views and opinions, I mean lets face it, we all understand that what a user says is there own view right?

The aggreived go after the forum, because that's all they can go after, the users are anon. There's a difference between free speech and saying stuff that isn't true that might cause someone damage.

All joking aside I think the point is!

If what you post is the truth and factually correct, why should you have any fear as to what the consequences may be??

Or, why should the admin's of a free forum have the hassle of trying to prove they're not responsible for the actions of an individuals views? Seriously, we've been here before, why should the masses potentially suffer due to the posts of an individual?

Well, with a view like that, might I suggest you start your own forum and take the risks yourself...

I don't know what was posted to make someone take legal action. Something is in my mind that makes me think it was the government. But i'm not sure on that.

I highly doubt it would be an individual. I do frequent on a few forums. For example a bands forum, a very popular band forum, one which posts bootlegs and videos of the band live. Now that it itself could I suppose uptake legal action. It also has its own section for religious views :blink: I could quite see many individuals taking some offence to the views posted in there. But like I said, everyone respects the fact that each member has their own views and is entitled to freedom of speech.

If there was a gap in the market that I could see for a forum, then I would quite happily take the opportunity to make one ;)

edit to say: In a thread like this, it is highly irrelevant the past of this forum, if there is truly kids safety at risk, that come way higher in the priority list. I for one would like some evidence, and take it from there

Archived