[BBC News] Lost pigeon returns home on ferry

Newsbot

Guess what happened to me today? no, what ever you are thinking is wrong, unless you were thinking, I was sitting at my desk doing some work and I looked out of the window & saw a cat with a tube of pringles, upon further investigation I did see it was not a tube of pringles but a bird, so, I jumped out of the window at work and shoed off the cat. The bird had run away into a gorse bush so I left it be but, the cat came back grrrr so I went and rescued the bird from the bush (I have no end of issues with gorse thorns now). He is ace, his name is Percy and he was a homing pidgeon and is now living under the desk at my work until I finish and take him to the vets for a little check up. He has a name printed on his little wing(not percy that is my name for him), and his poor little feet have had nasty rings put around them.....he will not be a homing pidgeon after today, he is my pidgeon now, Percy the pidgeon, my new pet!

Guess what happened to me today? no, what ever you are thinking is wrong, unless you were thinking, I was sitting at my desk doing some work and I looked out of the window & saw a cat with a tube of pringles, upon further investigation I did see it was not a tube of pringles but a bird, so, I jumped out of the window at work and shoed off the cat. The bird had run away into a gorse bush so I left it be but, the cat came back grrrr so I went and rescued the bird from the bush (I have no end of issues with gorse thorns now). He is ace, his name is Percy and he was a homing pidgeon and is now living under the desk at my work until I finish and take him to the vets for a little check up. He has a name printed on his little wing(not percy that is my name for him), and his poor little feet have had nasty rings put around them.....he will not be a homing pidgeon after today, he is my pidgeon now, Percy the pidgeon, my new pet!

What's on the ring? This will identify the owner. What's the prefix?

Welcome to the forum netraman.....I'm not really THAT into my pigeon just yet, hes nice to stroke and sits on your knee nice too, dosent bite and is just so cute. Mr Bees has told me "No, it is not going to happen!" but that was just his first reaction, as soon as he sees little Percy he too will love him.

Welcome to the forum netraman.....I'm not really THAT into my pigeon just yet, hes nice to stroke and sits on your knee nice too, dosent bite and is just so cute. Mr Bees has told me "No, it is not going to happen!" but that was just his first reaction, as soon as he sees little Percy he too will love him.

lol, you're serious about little Percy aren't you? Had you been out the back smoking something strange just before Percy turned up?

Pigeons, yuk. I can't stand birds, they have scary eyes and they poo on you.

:lol: Percy is safe and well in the care of the vets/RSPCA, I dropped him off at the vets this afternoon and they will be able to trace his owner and return him. I was becoming quite attached to him, he was a fine bird, not dirty and scabby like other pigeons you see about the place.

Yea! especially after 20mins, gas mark five?

A racing pigeon from Northern Ireland which landed in the Isle of Man is getting a lift home.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6974902.stm

http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/passpigeon.htm

Hooray! He must be a passenger pigeon!

And they were extinct! There is a pigeon God after all.

God, with a wonky chest and toes.

Sorry to do this folks but last year i found a pidgeon, and after much searching found a local rep who got the bird sent back home via DHL who showed up with a special box and everything. we all felt very happy the bird was on its way home to its owners and freinds. A week later i spoke to a pidgeon chap who told me when they get home they put half an inch in its neck when it gets home because a bird that goes sightseeing is no good as a racer.he return home policy is just a PR job!!!After all what good is lewis hamilton if he turns of the circuit at lap 20 and goes round blackpool tower!

I knew I should have kept him /cry poor Percy.........

Grant....I'm not sure how to take that post, should I be happy or sad? What is scary about my post? I wanted to help a small creature that is all, I would have liked to keep him (because he really was lovely) but it is not practicle for me to have a pigeon pet (the cat might not approve, you know). I suppose Im the only person who saves Bees, flies and spiders too....:S

Archived