Fly Tippers Warning

Stavros

I noticed the warning on the Manx.net home page "Fly Tippers" which is mainly about the successful prosecution of a Crosby man for fly-tipping rubbish in Ballaglass Glen.

It goes on to say "The recent case was one where Peter Crellin of Crosby admitted a charge of abandoning litter in a public place on the 12th June, 2005, when he had been asked by his manager to remove rubbish for a woman in Onchan. The Police located the owner of the property, following a report from a member of the public and, not only was the culprit dealt with severely by the Court, he was also disciplined by his employer for his foolish action."

Do you think that someone should warn him not to go fly tipping next year?

On a serious note, it does warn "His Worship the High Bailiff said in Court that if there were any further cases, the penalties would increase! The maximum penalty for the offence is £2,000."

Now, I don't like the idea of fly tipping because it can spoil our island but on the other hand, the Government were warned that making charges for rubbish to be disposed of would increase fly tipping. They didn't listen and this proves that this is only the start of things to come.

I do wonder how this guy actually got caught. I would have thought that a fly tipper would not dump things that had names or addresses on them. Presumably this guy dumped rubbish in Ballaglas Glen which had the name and / or address of the woman he was dumping the rubbish for. You wouldn't have to be very bright (no offence to our police force) to be able to work out where to go next!

Perhaps they should just open up the incinerator and invite the fly tippers to just dump their rubbish in there. Maybe they might even get enough rubbish to do their "Full Burn"

I would laugh if John Rimmington got up one morning to find that someone had been fly tipping and dumped it all in his garden! I wonder if he pays the charges at the Civic Amenity Site?

Stav.

soapbox.gif

We went down to Garwick beach quite some months ago. To me this is the most beautiful place on the Island. Not easy to get to as you have to go down a narrow lane.

Someone had chopped up a piano and dumped it down there. I was shocked and angry at the selfishness of people to do this. I think Lonan Commissioners must have eventually removed this rubbish. I will search out the photos I took and post them here.

Hopefully someone will recognise the piano (the photos include the piano maker's name etc.) and the dumper can be identified. That sort of person is not required on this Island thank you. But maybe you think differently.

well yes indeed. It really must have been a beauty - you'll be able to tell when I post the pictures. (I bet you can't wait but they are at work so it won't be until tomorrow now). Pianos are actually, almost literally, ten a penny. Along with harmoniums and the like. You just can't get rid of them.

Except, that is, down Garwick. Which is a rather beautiful place which I'd rather not talk about on a public forum because the next time I go down there, there might be hordes of people discovering the delights of the place. Except the only people I will have told will be forum type computery folk realising its a nice secluded place to dump their old monitors and 086 computers and the like.

Except I'll be in the trees waiting to photograph them and put their picture on this website so everyone will know where they dump their old hardware.

You see, pianos were, in many ways, very like computers 50 - 100 years ago. Keyboards and entertainment and all that. Every good home had one. Except you could get all the family and neighbours round and sing "We'll Keep The Home Fires Burning" and all that sort of thing.

Incidentally I notice there's a nice old piano in the window of that Italian restaurant on Douglas Promenade. Me, I'm going to go in there and play chopsticks. Anyone fancy joining me?

Archived