[BBC News] OAPs are 'second class citizens'

spermann

They may have slightly higher cost of living

They will have lower taxes and no inheritance tax, less crime, etc.

and:-

Free public transport

No council tax

Cheaper road tax

Lower prescription costs (compared to the UK)

Cheaper house and car insurance rates

Top class NHS facilities with short waiting lists

.. but then on the negative side Greenwoods has now closed down.

#edited spelling#

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spokesman Richard Leventhorpe said on Mandate this morning that it wasn't JUST comeovers who were affected - Manx people who have worked abroad (inc UK) or been in the forces most of their adult lives don't qualify either...

I don't think they should get the supplement either - any of them, English or Manx. If you haven't paid into the Manx pot, you shouldn't expect to sip from it later.

i am of the understanding that if you actually pay the funds that you would have paid in you can then get the supplement. this is based on someone i know having paid a lump sum into something governmental and if they live for 2 years they will break even on the lump sum ( not including lost interest ) in the extra they get a week instantly. i do not know whether this is 10 years worth of contributions or just 2 or 3 years to get them upto 10 years worth of contributions for eligabillity, also i'm not 100% sure whether this is pension or some other suplement? but if these pensioners are not willing to pay in retrospectively, why should they get extra?? that said, its not much different to health tourists.

As Declan said,imo.

The know off them meeting in the Archies is it's my local. One pensioner, who most up there know, was whinging like fook yet we know he hasn't worked a day since he moved here.

Spokesman Richard Leventhorpe said on Mandate this morning that it wasn't JUST comeovers who were affected - Manx people who have worked abroad (inc UK) or been in the forces most of their adult lives don't qualify either...

I don't think they should get the supplement either - any of them, English or Manx. If you haven't paid into the Manx pot, you shouldn't expect to sip from it later.

I'm fully behind the current status, I see the 10 year rule as proving your commitment to the Island during your working life. Myself I've been away for over 30 years with regular visits 2 or 3 times a year. I plan to return in 2010 by which time I'll be 53-ish.

As for armed forces - you can retire after 22 or maybe 25 years on a decent pension, nothing stopping you moving to the Island and either working or making voluntary NI contributions. After all, after 25 years' service you will not even be 50 - plenty of time to do something useful.

So their supplement campaign goes on - see MR

justicefor%20pensioners.jpg

I note that on the MR report it says: "The Justice for Pensioners logo, highlighting the fact the organisation's members don't receive the Isle of Man Pension Supplement, which increases the State Pension by 50%".

...I prefer to see it as 'the Justice for Pensioners group haven't a leg to stand on'.

Anyhoo - I heard that apparently the supplement is up for total reconsideration in 2010.

How are the island's unemployed funded?

That depends.

Contribution based JSA is funded by national insurance contributions (if they have paid in the UK it is refunded from the UK pot)

For Income Based JSA they have to be living on the Island for 5 years to get anything. Presumably these people have been working here for those 5 years and therefore contributing with their taxes that they have paid in that time.

So to sip from the manx pot they do have to contribute to it

If you haven't paid into the Manx pot, you shouldn't expect to sip from it later.

This is the most concise and accurate comment in this thread.

Agreed, he who pays says, and if you haven't contributed to the pot them there's no justifiable reason why you should expect to benefit from it. Well done to Eddie Teare for having the balls to make a decision.

As has been said moving to the island is always a matter of choice, the rules were there when these people came here and haven't changed.

If these people really feel disadvantaged perhaps they should move back to where they came from as they will clearly be happier and better off there.

Archived