The I.o.m/gatwick Route

Higgy

Has anyone been inconvenienced by the flights to and from Gatwick? (Lately) I heard that the Gatwick route is very unreliable at the moment. Anyone know why? My misses is on that flight tomorrow.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Flybe to be the worst culprits. They don't want to be here, they don't even have a rep on the Island let alone a manager. All handled by a third party!

Cancelled flights due to 'tech' failures?? Worrying really, our government should sort the airlinks out now!!

They are being walked all over by proffessional businessmen because they are unable to negotiate at the level required. Unable to stand up for the Island in any way, impotent, incompetent and lacking in the aggression required to deal with the simplest situations.

These companies are laughing at us!

As I understand it, Flybe are in the middle of a re-training exercise for Isle of Man based pilots. These local pilots are being trained to fly new, state-of-the-art aircraft. While this is happening, Flybe are filling the gap with the temporary use of other aircraft and pilots, which may result in a less reliable service.

In a few weeks, the local guys will be back operating the Gatwick service, and normal service should be resumed!

I've vowed never to fly out of Gatwick again following last weekend's experience.

Chaotic mile-long queues and anarchy going to departures.

Nobody in charge/controlling the disgruntled masses.

A few headless chickens in tabards gave inspired instructions such as, "Move into 4 queues," whilst another zombie walked around with a small letter "Q" on a stick, which was meant to indicate where to find the elusive end of the queue.

That was little help to me so I can't imagine what it means to a foreigner with no knowledge of English.

Survival of the fittest.

Hell for the elderly or infirm.

All that was missing was a mob to throw stones at us while we queued.

Finally boarded, very late, to be told that they were going to refuel.

Then our Flybe bird waited in a queue while all the other aircraft in the world were allowed to take off first.

Gatwick South is in a state of meltdown and can't go on like this without rioting breaking out, or worse.

I fear a riot is exactly what it will take to shake the airline industry and its regulators up.

Like many people, I used to look forward to using air travel, but since 9/11 it has become an absolute nightmare. 'For your comfort and convenience' has become a phrase with a whole different meaning to the literal one - it now refers to incredible inconvenience, discomfort, and provides jobsworths from check-in to car parking with a carte blanche to take the piss, all in the name of 'security'... which itself is just a joke.

The customer has become an inconvenience to be herded, poked and prodded...and sooner or later the worms will turn.

I hate boats, but I hate airports more.

I fear a riot is exactly what it will take to shake the airline industry and its regulators up.

Like many people, I used to look forward to using air travel, but since 9/11 it has become an absolute nightmare. 'For your comfort and convenience' has become a phrase with a whole different meaning to the literal one - it now refers to incredible inconvenience, discomfort, and provides jobsworths from check-in to car parking with a carte blanche to take the piss, all in the name of 'security'... which itself is just a joke.

The customer has become an inconvenience to be herded, poked and prodded...and sooner or later the worms will turn.

I hate boats, but I hate airports more.

What worries me is the way both Flybe and EuroManx seem to be cancelling filights - I'm coming over in a few weeks via London City - I bet I get there to find EuroManx have cancelled.

The Island's aviation offering is at a current all time low. How long have we had a jet on the London route? - at least 15 years. It has now been replaced with a poxy propeller plane meaning that the island no longer has a jet service. They say "oh its more economical" But does that mean prices will come down? NO. They charge for luggage, they charge for using a credit card to book, they even charge for a cup of water on the flight (which is almost always late if it isnt cancelled). They say "oh its quieter". Bollocks it is.

Oh for the days when we could check our luggage through to a final BA destination and sit back with a G&T or geasy breakfast.

In Jersey their government intervened and brought back a Heathrow service. Our government cant just sit back and do nothing about this - business wont tolerate it and lousy airline connections will discourage business from investing here.

In Jersey their government intervened and brought back a Heathrow service. Our government cant just sit back and do nothing about this - business wont tolerate it and lousy airline connections will discourage business from investing here.

I can't see the IOM government doing much about it. Too many fingers in pies.......scratch my back and i'll scratch yours..... :(

Archived