New Hotel For Ramsey

Grianane

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no doubt the local commissioners will object to the planning as there is no marina to support it! :o

The word on the street is the Marina will sail through this time (excuse the pun) and Mr Grand Island will be very instrumental in the redevelopment of the the old lady (Ramsey).

Money talks and money does, it might not happen over night but it will happen. It is an absolute certainty.

Best Wishes

Do the Navan Walk

I'd like to know what is going to happen to the Grand Island hotel. I had my wedding reception there (some years ago now) and recently went back there for a function. To say I was depressed about the state of the place is an understatement. It is in desperate need of a serious amount of refurbishment to bring it back to its former glory. How this place has been allowed to get into this state is nothing short of criminal. Anyone else been there recently?

From the rumours I have heard The Grand Island will become flats with a new hotel being built on Mooragh Prom where Dandara have a board advertising an office development.

It's from the manx rumour mill though so is probably bullshit

Dandara have sold the land on to the owner of the Grand Island, who has been buying the houses at the end of the old Mooragh golf links, he now owns the lot. He plans to build a hotel on the land and knock the Grand Island down. What he's got planned for the GI site is anyones guess.

But then this is taken from the Manx rumour mill so is probably bullshit as well. :)

It'd be a shame to see The Grand Island go 'cause it's a magnificent old building in an equally magnificent location, but it's absolutely gone to the dogs over the last few years, and I can't see that anyone would be prepared to sink the money into it that would be required to bring it back up to scratch, especially since there's just no viable market in the north of the island for such a large hotel.

On a lovely summer's day there's nothing quite like getting a couple of drinks (which will probably be warm as none of the fridges seem to work) and sitting out in the gardens at the back, looking out to sea. Unfortunately, the gardens would make a nicer place to stay than most of the rooms......

Mind you, I worked there as a barman/kitchen assistant in, ummmm, summer of 1995 off the top of my head, and there was a fair bit wrong with it even back then, the public facing areas were largely pretty good but behind the scenes it was already in a fair state of decay. There didn't seem to be anyone really running the place as such either, 'cause all the staff got pissed for free out of the bar just about every single night, I remember many a wobbly cycle back into town along the prom at about 2am, having downed far too much free vodka. (Well, "pinched" vodka would probably be more accurate but everyone was at it, and since I was just working for the summer I figured I may as well join in.)

Having a decent hotel in the centre of Ramsey would be excellent IMO, because it's really quite tricky for people at the moment who are coming to the IOM to visit folks who live up north and need somewhere to stay, given that no sane person would want to stay at the Grand Island (which is an awkward distance out of town anyway).

I still pop into the Grand Island for a drink or two now and then, but that's about it, and even that's mostly a depressing experience because you can "feel" it deteriorating year after year - a sad end for such a truly impressive building.

Registry details show 2 bungalows at Mooragh bought by Seymar deveopments. It looks as if the whole plot is going to be used for a hotel/residential development.

If this goes ahead, and the rumour mill is very strong in this regard, then Ramsey could end up with two hotels, on to replace the GI and one in the town centre which provides the potential for people to actually stay in the town in decent accommodation again.

It would be a shame to se the GI go but its been on the slippery slope for a good few years now and replacement with a modern facility has to be the best option.

From the rumours I have heard The Grand Island will become flats with a new hotel being built on Mooragh Prom where Dandara have a board advertising an office development.

It's from the manx rumour mill though so is probably bullshit

Dandara have sold the land on to the owner of the Grand Island, who has been buying the houses at the end of the old Mooragh golf links, he now owns the lot. He plans to build a hotel on the land and knock the Grand Island down. What he's got planned for the GI site is anyones guess.

But then this is taken from the Manx rumour mill so is probably bullshit as well. :)

Wouldn't suprise me Dandara seem to get their hands on every available piece of land (even if it is not zoned for building on).

As if there isn't enough apartments already.

Archived