[BBC News] Police chief to leave Manx force

Newsbot

As for Culverhouse, he has nigh on singlehandedly destroyed Police morale, as well as seriously dented Police credibilty.

IIRC - there were some Police who got sacked in the past few years because they were found to have been behaving very badly over considerable periods of time. In some cases it had evidently been known or suspected for years that they were basically bad.

One of them stole some cash from the pockets of a dead relative of mine about 10 years ago. It would have been impossible to prove at the time but we knew the money was missing and there was no doubt. Although it seemed impossible to imagine that the IOM could be corrupt. But the cop who first visited the scene was relatively recently identified as a thief.

In the old days that would have been hushed - up.

Is that the kind of thing you mean when you talk about Police morale and credibility being dented and destroyed? The impression I got was that there was an old style Police culture which needed to be reformed. It was no longer acceptable for them to get away with making the rules. Thanks to the introduction of UK styled reforms.

And didn't they also find that the Police HQ had been bugged for years?

Given that some cops were stealing - so I can certainly believe that some were also up to other no good.

So lets hope for a new CC who does more or the same. And then some more. Maybe there are still a few old timers who need to be got rid of.

No?

As for Culverhouse, he has nigh on singlehandedly destroyed Police morale, as well as seriously dented Police credibilty.

IIRC - there were some Police who got sacked in the past few years because they were found to have been behaving very badly over considerable periods of time. In some cases it had evidently been known or suspected for years that they were basically bad.

One of them stole some cash from the pockets of a dead relative of mine about 10 years ago. It would have been impossible to prove at the time but we knew the money was missing and there was no doubt. Although it seemed impossible to imagine that the IOM could be corrupt. But the cop who first visited the scene was relatively recently identified as a thief.

In the old days that would have been hushed - up.

Is that the kind of thing you mean when you talk about Police morale and credibility being dented and destroyed? The impression I got was that there was an old style Police culture which needed to be reformed. It was no longer acceptable for them to get away with making the rules. Thanks to the introduction of UK styled reforms.

And didn't they also find that the Police HQ had been bugged for years?

Given that some cops were stealing - so I can certainly believe that some were also up to other no good.

So lets hope for a new CC who does more or the same. And then some more. Maybe there are still a few old timers who need to be got rid of.

No?

I agree totally, he has done wonders for law and order on the island. Remember when you stood a good chance of being beaten up on the prom, drunkeness all around the town, and this in broad daylight?

You just need to cast your mind back to 1999-2000. The police force on the island is, I believe, superb and law and order is in pretty good shape despite the general decline in public behaviour throughout the UK these days.

I agree totally, he has done wonders for law and order on the island. Remember when you stood a good chance of being beaten up on the prom, drunkeness all around the town, and this in broad daylight?

You just need to cast your mind back to 1999-2000. The police force on the island is, I believe, superb and law and order is in pretty good shape despite the general decline in public behaviour throughout the UK these days.

And if you look back through the old weekly newspaper reports pre WWII then you'll probably come to the conclusion that Douglas is much safer these days.

Archived