[BBC News] Minister leads delegation abroad

Newsbot

What a guy. I'd just like to personally thank the 3 of them for doing such a great job.

Although the Isle of Man is not a member of the European Union, Mr Brown attended meetings at both the European Commission and European Parliament.

Why did the chief secretary attend (moreso than the other two)?

I'm glad they are turning their attention to Europe.

Maybe now they will negotiate reciprocal health insurance so that we can get an E111 form when we travel to Europe instead of taking out private insurance.

And they might find out why those countries have such high recycling rates while ours are even below the UK levels.

The next trip is to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference in India. It will be attended by Claire Christian MLC, Ann Craine MHk and Geoff Corkish MHK.

Maybe Mr Corkish will send us a postcard explaining what he knows about climate change.

Does the E111 really replace private travel insurance?

One thing it does not cover is emergency repatriation (spelling ?) - for example after a bad accident and you are shipped back by air ambulance. It really only covers sickeness. In Switzerland you would pay cash if you do not have insurance.

I'm glad they are turning their attention to Europe.![/url]

Ah of course one of the last great conquests was the DTI tour and return game with the Chinese. They ended up getting trained at strix in Ronaldsway and Ramsey and then all the work was shipped out to them. One wonders what snippets of success they gang will promote to europe and which country will move in on the bandwagon to take the business away from the Island.

I'm glad they are turning their attention to Europe.![/url]

Ah of course one of the last great conquests was the DTI tour and return game with the Chinese. They ended up getting trained at strix in Ronaldsway and Ramsey and then all the work was shipped out to them. One wonders what snippets of success they gang will promote to europe and which country will move in on the bandwagon to take the business away from the Island.

And we mustn't forget all that business we got from taking part in the Global Challenge Yacht race.

Hey, it could be worse - like, as bad as some yank government peeps:

Lobster dinners among top-dollar snacks at Justice conferences

An internal Justice audit, released Friday, showed the department spent nearly $7 million to plan, host or send employees to ten conferences over the last two years. This included paying $4 per meatball at one lavish dinner and spreading an average of $25 worth of snacks around to each participant at a movie-themed party.

There was plenty, too, for those needing to satisfy a sweet tooth.

More than $13,000 was spent on cookies and brownies for 1,542 people who attended a four-day "Weed and Seed" conference in August 2005, according to the audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine. And a "networking" session replete with butterfly shrimp, coconut lobster skewers and Swedish meatballs at a Community Oriented Policing Services conference in July 2006 cost more than $60,000.

See? I'm sure our-powers-that-be are way more responsible in how they spend our cash - they are, aren't they?....

Archived