Minister Praises Speed Of Dot Staff!

Fossils

From Manx Radio:

"Transport Minister David Anderson is praising the quick work of DoT staff who set up the Island’s bio-security measures in the wake of the latest foot and mouth scare.

Hours after the United Kingdom confirmed another case of the disease, disinfectant mats and other procedures were in place at Ronaldsway Airport and Douglas Sea Terminal.

Mr Anderson (pictured) says the fast response was necessary to protect the Island’s livestock from the possibility of infection carried by vehicles and people.

He is thanking all those in his department who swung into action on hearing the news: "

Wait a minute............"fast response"....................that's a bit rich to describe getting the mats back out of the cupboard that had only been put away for a few weeks.

Could the overtime pay have inspired this unique turn of speed?

I absolutely agree with previous comments and still find it unbelievable how presumably DOT staff managed to put up footpath closed signs on every footpath over the space of a weekend the last time it struck!

If only so much management and deication could be applied to other projects!!

Hey, don't forget that these people exist in a different world to the rest of us. Along with most civil servants their work expands to fill the time allotted to it. The poor guys out on the roads are just the visible side of the public sector. They do nothing different to their colleagues in other areas, in fact they do at least have to perform some gruelling manual tasks.

The private sector is under constant pressure to produce profit for it's investors and will always make adjustments to improve performance. Public sector managers are under constant union pressure, hence the large amountof lost time due to stress related illness and bad backs, which seems to be acceptable in this area.

When did you hear of this level of absenteeism in the private sector?

Public sector managers are under constant union pressure, hence the large amountof lost time due to stress related illness and bad backs, which seems to be acceptable in this area.

When did you hear of this level of absenteeism in the private sector?

I dunno about the managers havin bad backs but i bet a lot of the men digging the roads do. As for the private sector they have to pay wages when people are off sick nowadays, it's the law.

Also the private sector get better benefits and wages so a guy in the pub told me, and they also have high absenteeism.

Regarding DoT workers, I witnessed the following the other day along with two colleagues;

Three men sweeping up leaves in Douglas, one with a broom, one with a shovel and one with a bag to put collected muck in. We stopped and were going to get a picture but they broke away from each other to have a fag. Unbelievable.

Archived