Boat On The Rocks

maggle

They have cranes that put boats in the harbour, I'm sure they can pick that little thing up :)
I think the problem for a crane uni is actually accessing the area to try and lift it.

Don't know really where a crane could get to it?

Hope they do soon though as it won't last too long down there.

Last 10

They have cranes that put boats in the harbour, I'm sure they can pick that little thing up :)

They could very easily, but as I said, it'd be interesting trying to get a crane anywhere near enough to move it.

unfortunatly that "little thing" just happens to be in the sort of place you cannot get to with a crane , even if you use what is called an All Terrain Crane like so

post-1039-1190052582_thumb.jpg

This type of crane still requires to be 'set-up' on the level if you look at the pictures there ant much flat ground to set-up on and Port Erin beach does suffer from soft sand on that side of the beach, so then your down to a reach issue say they do set-up what called mud-mats that allow the crane to be set-up on soft ground you are still bound to legal lifting limits

if your bothered have a look at page 13 of the attached pdf and it gives you the maximum lifting limits at various radius's and this is for a 50 tonne which is pretty much the largest road going crane on the island it dont lift a great deal anything over a 20 metre radius

download.pdf

suppose it comes down to litigation in the end, is the visitors mooring the property of the DoT ?, wha happens if it drags out of position ?, presumably anyone mooring on it hasn't signed a disclaimer, maybe they are in for a new boat out of this one ????? :)

(if it was the boat owner's problem they probably would have jacked it clear of the rocks and slapped a patch on the hole to refloat it)

suppose it comes down to litigation in the end, is the visitors mooring the property of the DoT ?, wha happens if it drags out of position ?, presumably anyone mooring on it hasn't signed a disclaimer, maybe they are in for a new boat out of this one ????? :)

(if it was the boat owner's problem they probably would have jacked it clear of the rocks and slapped a patch on the hole to refloat it)

Ohhh

I can just see John Wright cringing at your post :angry:

Last 10

There are often boats wrecked during the autumn equinox as the winds can blow fiercely and from any direction, making normally safe anchorages hazardous

Back in the 1970s The ex Edward Heath owned "Clarion of Wight" was blown off a mooring onto the rocks at Port St Mary

It was thought impossible to re-float and a local businessman bought the vessel for scrap

Being the owner of a mobile crane and a good sense of vision, he tipped wagonloads of hardcore out across the rocks to make a temporary road which he then drove his crane over to rescue the classic yacht

Where there's a will....

Drove down the prom earlier a little while after high tide and I'm not sure the water will actually get easily high enough to float it without a really big tide.

Didn't realise there was a hole in it tbh. I didn't go too close to it when I took the photos as I didn't want anyone potentially saying I might be up to no good.

unfortunatly that "little thing" just happens to be in the sort of place you cannot get to with a crane , even if you use what is called an All Terrain Crane like so

post-1039-1190052582_thumb.jpg

This type of crane still requires to be 'set-up' on the level if you look at the pictures there ant much flat ground to set-up on and Port Erin beach does suffer from soft sand on that side of the beach, so then your down to a reach issue say they do set-up what called mud-mats that allow the crane to be set-up on soft ground you are still bound to legal lifting limits

if your bothered have a look at page 13 of the attached pdf and it gives you the maximum lifting limits at various radius's and this is for a 50 tonne which is pretty much the largest road going crane on the island it dont lift a great deal anything over a 20 metre radius

And then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGJh1KRp9-Y

I seem to remember DoT doing this on the quay in Douglas!!!!!!!!!

Archived