[BBC News] Fine payment deadline is extended

Newsbot

Slightly ambiguous wording. Amnesty means to grant a general pardon to or a period during which offenders are exempt from punishment .

All they've done is extend the period you have to cough up. You're still getting fined.............

If there are a lot of fines outstanding, and they can lock people up for non-payment of fines (and when you get to several hundred pounds believe me this will happen and some people will end up being locked up - just as they are losing their homes in e.g. Manchester for not being able to pay a £700 outstanding poll tax) this could mean the additional 40 odd rooms at the new prison will soon be filled.

Silly idea in my book to lock people up for non-payment, far better to get them cleaning beaches and polishing the promenade at weekends - which doesn't cost Joe Public anywhere near as much to keep them and totally defeats the object of fining them in my book - especially if they go on to lose their job over it and therefore stop paying tax too.

Parking fines should be a civil matter - not a criminal matter. This sh1t is criminalising normally law abiding citizens and someone needs to re-evaluate the whole approach. There is no justification on earth that can take £40 to over £900 - and which just goes to prove that this is seen as a tax revenue they are starting to rely on.

More people should be questioning the legality of many of these parking fines. The DoT can't even get roundabouts right - never mind parking signs, yellow lines and bay markings etc.

Parking fines should be a civil matter - not a criminal matter. This sh1t is criminalising normally law abiding citizens and someone needs to re-evaluate the whole approach. There is no justification on earth that can take £40 to over £900 - and which just goes to prove that this is seen as a tax revenue they are starting to rely on.

Agreed 100%

And not displaying a valid tax disc results in.... more tickets!

Also, I'm not quite sure where Albert gets over £900 from £40 but he never seems to fully understand the system he rails against anyway ;)

Just heard on the news as well that they are considering not allowing you to tax your car if you've got outstanding parking tickets. So that'll be outstanding tickets and no road tax as well. Sheer brilliance.

Perpetual motion..................

How difficult is it to set a parking disc correctly? How difficult is it to notice how much parking time it allows you?

I don't have any sympathy for those who transgress. Some £1/4million is said to be currently owed. Pay up, and don't do it again!

Also, I'm not quite sure where Albert gets over £900 from £40 but he never seems to fully understand the system he rails against anyway ;)

I was quoting your >£900 (didn't see it was 8 tickets or whatever) - some of us have work to do today :P but my points are still valid.

As for understanding the system - I understand even less the f***wits that elected those putting it in place, and who continue to allow a system to develop that ensures we serve the state instead of vice versa.

How difficult is it to set a parking disc correctly? How difficult is it to notice how much parking time it allows you?

I don't have any sympathy for those who transgress. Some £1/4million is said to be currently owed. Pay up, and don't do it again!

This.

It's not that difficult as I see people changing theirs regularly. They just can't be bothered to move their vehicle too but I can understand what a hassle that is.

Ooh I was lucky I didnt get one yesterday, I parked on the new quay bit by Newsomes, I didnt notice the little tiny disabled picture in amongst all the other rubbish that was on the sign, you can park here on a Wednesday, if the sun is shining in Port Erin, you can load somethings into your car here but not all. Soon there will be a newspapers worth of writing on their poxy parking rulez signs. I have contempt for such petty rules and even more contempt for the no-lifers who slap tickets on the Ballakermeen scholars' cars.

Archived