Police Treat

Lonan3

LINK TO STORY

I remember the annual 'police treats' when I was a kid. To me, they were one of the highlights of the Christmas season and it was explained to me that the policemen themselves raised the money to fund it.

Obviously, times have changed and this is to be a somewhat different format, but I would hope that it does succeed in enabling young people to get to know the local bobbies without having to get into trouble first.

LINK TO STORY

I remember the annual 'police treats' when I was a kid. To me, they were one of the highlights of the Christmas season and it was explained to me that the policemen themselves raised the money to fund it.

Obviously, times have changed and this is to be a somewhat different format, but I would hope that it does succeed in enabling young people to get to know the local bobbies without having to get into trouble first.

I loved the police treat as a kid, but never really connected it with the police. It was just a day out every year to watch a movie and get a selection box. Don't even remember the police being there.

Shows how times have changed though, from that article. 'logistically impossible to include all schools', 'sponsorship required' etc. Funny innit?

Five Slection Boxes was the St Marys record.

All involving the fire exit, quick feet and a cheeky smile.

Not that I'd encourage that sort of behaviour anymore, of course...

...GOMH*...

I seem to recall watching a magician with his performing fleas onstage - bring back variety eh !! My sister and I were part of a folk group years ago and had the dubious pleasure of performing in front of all the quick footed, cheeky smiley darlings too - ah bliss ........

I loved thosed days out, the double bill with the ice cream intermission then crowding into Strand St in the middle of the afternoon, selection box firmly in hand.

I was gutted a few years later when I met up in the UK with an old friend who didn't get to go to them and who then insisted on telling everyone else there that the Police Treat was only for "special kids". Pure jealousy on his part.

I do hope you don't mean me, Miss !

I never had fleas...only Doves, Silks and Rings. And and a talking Monkey too.

Always been a bit classy, me ;) ...

...GOMH*...

That is blatantly obvious sir, by the calibre of your posts ;)

I prefer to throw out a heady mix of quality AND quantity...

...GOMH*...

We never got a film in Peel. We had to endure entertainment with local entertainers Rex and Colin

*remembers unsavoury headline in the Examiner a few years later*

Never got away with more than one selection box though, despite trying every trick in the book

I was thinking I don't remember the police treat, but figured maybe I was too young. I do however, remember the legend (?) of Rex and Colin (who appear to still be going, according to adverts for "Children's Entertainers" in the Courier every week!). Which prizes did you win Terry? Brillo pads, Typhoo teabags or Weetabix samples!

Archived