Police Treat

Lonan3

How the feck did you manage to turn this into another conspiracy theory.

Rex and Colin scare me. Only a few years ago my old workplace hired them for a kids Christmas Party. I swear they had the same 'prizes' as back in my day.

Of particular note were those tiny plane type contraptions that were made from polystyrene or Balsa wood, that you used to throw and they would come full circle and hit you in the head, or alternatively fly off and take little Johnny's eye out.

'Come and give Uncle Colin a hug'.......Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Police Treats for the win! (Many an enjoyable experience had towards the rear of those cinemas!)

We never got a film in Peel. We had to endure entertainment with local entertainers Rex and Colin

*remembers unsavoury headline in the Examiner a few years later*

Never got away with more than one selection box though, despite trying every trick in the book

*I can't remember it. Can you remind us?*

I remember being taken to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea as a police treat in the early 80's. I think it was my first trip to the cinema. Don't remember the selection boxes though, maybe they were phased out by then, the article suggests it was probably one of the last of the police treats.

Incidentally, here in the UK the police are also introducing taking kids to see films - of gang violence, as a deterrent. Something the Manx police should consider? "OK, kids, now you've seen the Walt Disney flick, here's a something that'll have you crying into your selection boxes!"

Anyone remember the Firemans treat? Held every year if my memory serves correct in what is now 'Bar George'.

Yes, used to get to that as well as the police treat. They'd both be so tame now but fantastic at the time, and stick in the memory! All the soft rock and manx knobs left over from Gore's Rock shops summer....no wonder the school dentist was so busy!

Anyone remember the Firemans treat? Held every year if my memory serves correct in what is now 'Bar George'.

Yes, I remember going to one.

In a similar vein, does anyone remember the trailer Rudolf that did the rounds. I know they still do it but it is not so eagerly awaited as when I were a lass. The sweets were always stale chewy things, but you would still try to go through a second time, if you weren't caught and despatched by Rudolf's minders.

Yes, I remember going to one.

In a similar vein, does anyone remember the trailer Rudolf that did the rounds. I know they still do it but it is not so eagerly awaited as when I were a lass. The sweets were always stale chewy things, but you would still try to go through a second time, if you weren't caught and despatched by Rudolf's minders.

The last time I saw "Rudolph" he was looking very threadbare and seemed to consist of a cardboard subframe with iffy animal skin rugs stapled to it

Archived