[BBC News] Schoolgirl hit by van on crossing

Newsbot

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.... just returning from school where she may have learned that it would be better to say "Schoolgirl on crossing hit by van" !

hope she's ok though

I do hope she's ok. Best wished to her and her family. And I firmly hope the arsewipe responsible gets the book thrown at him/her.

Wooooah, I was run over on a zebra, I hardly imagine the driver set off in his van in the morning thinking "Oh yes, today is the day I will run a child over, on a zebra crossing" - he/she probably feels really bad already. I know the lady who ran me over was most upset about it. The police asked me if I wanted to press charges, ofc I didnt, it was an accident so, I guess, it will be up to the parents if the driver gets 'done' or not. RTAs are unpleasant at best, its not always necessary to 'throw the book' at people who are fully aware of the wrong they have done.

Wooooah, I was run over on a zebra....

What by, an elephant?

IIRC isn't the crossing by to Janets Corner a Pelican crossing? In which case either the driver ran the lights, or the pedestrian shouldn't have been crossing.

Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Yup it is a pelican one, no idea what happened so not suggesting fault in any direction but I always get nervous driving when kids are milling around there, they always look like they're about to jump into the road.

Apparently it wasn't at the crossing at all. The wee girl got off the bus and and ran out onto the road from behind the bus. The van driver was only travelling at around 15-20 mph as he was stuck behind a lorry so speeding wasn't an issue, although the cops quizzed him anyways with regards the roadworthiness of his van ie: when was it last serviced, the condition of his tyres, brakes etc. I DO hope the girl in question isn't seriously injured but come on, 11 years old and still doesn't know how to cross a road?! No doubt her parents will be up in arms about it but if what I heard is true I also hope the van driver is not prosecuted.

Silly girl, and if the vehicle is unroadworthy silly van man.

You seem to make quite a lot of snap judgements based on hearsay and rumour, especially regarding RTAs and immigrants I notice....

You're not the only. A few on this thread have jumped to conclusions, assuming speed was involved or that it was the van drivers fault.

I hope the girl is ok, getting hit by a car is bloody scary as well as painful.

People need to slow the fuck down :(

How fast was the van going?

Dunnow ,but if there was an all island speedlimit this prolly wouldnt of appened :blink:

Knee-jerk trolling. No information but an assholesumption that speed is the culprit.

Speed is RARELY the issue. Read my lips...

Archived