[BBC News] Schoolgirl hit by van on crossing

Newsbot

Who was doing 40mph anyway? In my experience it's more likely to be the old person in the Datsun who was doing the same speed over the mountain.

Until the official report into this unfortunate accident comes out, any speculation about who was in the wrong is premature.

I'm not speculation, I'm making a general observation about the traffic in our towns.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This wasn't a fatality...so your point?

Oh yes...you haven't got one, becuase like the rest of us you know nothing of the detail.

I have a point, I made it quite clear. People need to slow the fuck down.

Clear anough for you Dickbert?

Follow this...you never know, one day you might get that brain you've been longing for.

istockphoto_2929163_yellow_brick_road.jpg

was about to post that too many people (especially those in small Nissans) appear to have too much time on their hands as it is - a positive menace on the roads bumbling along on fast routes at 35mph.

A menace? Hardly. Some may find them a nuisance, but those that do are far more likely to be the menace. I suspect they're likely to say things like:-

"I love my car. She's a lovely motor".

lol.............

Who was doing 40mph anyway? In my experience it's more likely to be the old person in the Datsun who was doing the same speed over the mountain.

The old person in the Datsun isn't causing a problem doing 40 on the mountain though. It's the idiots who speed excessively and overtake dangerously that's the problem.

The mountain has long since turned into a race track for it's users for some unknown reason.

It seems to be a stable for testosterone fueled numpties.

The old person in the Datsun isn't causing a problem doing 40 on the mountain though. It's the idiots who speed excessively and overtake dangerously that's the problem.

The mountain has long since turned into a race track for it's users for some unknown reason.

They are causing a problem by going 40. I'm imagining that you do not drive over the mountain at 40mph. You come round a corner at 60mph (not excessive) and slam the anchors on to avoid smashing in to the back of said Datsun......You may argue that it would be reasonable to expect Datsuns to be driving ovr the mountain at 40mph but I would also argue that they should reasonably be expecting people to be going a sight faster than 40mph on a nice, smooth, unrestricted road.

You may argue that it would be reasonable to expect Datsuns to be driving ovr the mountain at 40mph but I would also argue that they should reasonably be expecting people to be going a sight faster than 40mph on a nice, smooth, unrestricted road.

Correct, if they were on their driving test they would not be deemed as 'making progress', and seen as unecessarily holding up traffic. 60mph would be deemed as 'making progress' on the mountain in a car. Depending on the conditions of course.

You may argue that it would be reasonable to expect Datsuns to be driving ovr the mountain at 40mph but I would also argue that they should reasonably be expecting people to be going a sight faster than 40mph on a nice, smooth, unrestricted road.

Correct, if they were on their driving test they would not be deemed as 'making progress', and seen as unecessarily holding up traffic. 60mph would be deemed as 'making progress' on the mountain in a car. Depending on the conditions of course.

Nonsense Albert, you can't seriously be suggesting that 40mph on the mountain road would result in failure.

Nonsense Albert, you can't seriously be suggesting that 40mph on the mountain road would result in failure.

Quite some time has obviously passed since you took your driving test.

To be fair, that stupid quote was not ai_Droid's - it was stu peters.

They are causing a problem by going 40. I'm imagining that you do not drive over the mountain at 40mph. You come round a corner at 60mph (not excessive) and slam the anchors on to avoid smashing in to the back of said Datsun......You may argue that it would be reasonable to expect Datsuns to be driving ovr the mountain at 40mph but I would also argue that they should reasonably be expecting people to be going a sight faster than 40mph on a nice, smooth, unrestricted road.

There are no corners on the Mountain which, if entered at 60 mph and you encounter a vehicle travelling in the same direction at 40 mph, that should cause you a problem. There would certainly be no requirement to 'slam on the anchors'.

Unless you're a bad driver of course.

You would see them in plenty of time. If you were travelling at in excess of 80mph, then there may be a slight issue.

The over riding issue is, as you have identified in your post, is that if you enter a corner where you do not know what may be in your path (as you do not have line of sight), you should do so at a speed that would allow you to pull up / manouver safely. Too many people drive on memory.

Anyway, I still hope that the girl is not badly injured and wish her all the best.

Quite some time has obviously passed since you took your driving test.

And your point presumably is that doing 40 on the mountain would result in failing one's test?

Yes - it would be held against you, if the conditions were OK to do so and you weren't 'making progress'. Just as it would be on any road if you drove well below the speed limit and conditions were OK.

Archived