Uk - Up To 600 Deaths In State Custody

Albert Tatlock

From the BBC: "Between 500 and 600 people die every year in state custody in England and Wales, a report due out later will say. The figures include 73 self-inflicted deaths in prisons out of a total jail population of about 81,000 last year, and a further 41 in secure hospitals. The Forum for Preventing Deaths in Custody, which compiled the figures, said many deaths could be avoided. The forum was established to help cut deaths in custody, but campaigners say it is toothless and lacks resources."

From the BBC: "Between 500 and 600 people die every year in state custody in England and Wales, a report due out later will say. The figures include 73 self-inflicted deaths in prisons out of a total jail population of about 81,000 last year, and a further 41 in secure hospitals. The Forum for Preventing Deaths in Custody, which compiled the figures, said many deaths could be avoided. The forum was established to help cut deaths in custody, but campaigners say it is toothless and lacks resources."

do we really need the new prison, perhaps we could manage the Victoria Road one better :shifty:

Just to add a little perspective, it does say: The Ministry of Justice said about two-thirds of the deaths were from natural causes. while the table at the foot of the article shows that the total numbers appear to be decreasing year by year.

do we really need the new prison, perhaps we could manage the Victoria Road one better :shifty:

The Report on a full announced inspection of Isle of Man prison makes interesting reading. If I were a cynic, I might suspect that announcements such as those regarding anti-smoking policies, were simply geared to gain public support from the 'take away their rights and hang em high' brigade and divert attention from the various failures identified in the last inspection.

Although some of these issues are likely to be improved with the building of the new prison, many of these issues seem to me to be quite fundamental basic failures - given that this is the 21st century:

• HP45 A bullying analysis should be undertaken and the results used to develop a bullying strategy. All staff should be trained in how to deal with incidents.
  • HP46 The safer custody committee should develop and oversee a strategy to help reduce the risk of self-harm and to provide the necessary support and services to those prisoners who threaten or attempt to self-harm.
  • HP47 The arrangements for the delivery of healthcare to become the responsibility of the Isle of Man Health Service should be expedited.
  • HP48 A health needs assessment of prisoners should be carried out and a health delivery plan devised to ensure that the correct services, including out-of-hours cover, are in place to meet the needs of the population.
  • HP49 There should be sufficient purposeful activity for all prisoners, with the opportunity to gain educational and skills qualifications.
  • HP50 Juveniles under 18 should not be held in the Isle of Man prison.
  • HP51 Women should be held in separately-managed accommodation, with facilities and procedures that are specific to their needs.
  • HP52 The Department of Home Affairs, with other relevant bodies, should consider developing a comprehensive multi-agency strategy for reducing reoffending and providing end-to-end management of offenders during and after imprisonment.
  • HP53 The prison should develop and implement a resettlement strategy, based upon the assessed needs of its different populations.

In short, it seems that prisoners on the island in 2006: could get bullied more often than most; had a higher than necessary risk of self harm; had healthcare services not being professionally delivered which posed serious risks to prisoner safety and staff - with no out of hours service; nothing to do and all day to do it, with few educational or skill opportunties; a poor chance of being rehabilitated; and a high chance of being dumped on the street after serving their sentence and not being resettled.

Oh well, I suppose it's a good job that I'm not a cynic - as it would seem to appear that in 2006 the 'take away their rights and hang em high' brigade had got their way i.e a fully oiled revolving-door prison system.

It will be interesting to see the results of the next inspection. It appears that Home Affairs Minister Martyn Quayle MHK - has many bigger fish yet to fry.

Apparently not.

What's your point here? Deaths are falling.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7005556.stm#map

For such a critic of the Daily Mail sensational style of journalism, you're not shy of using it yourself though eh? "Between 500 and 600" turns into "Up to 600". The BBC is just as guilty though as the actual figure is 523. It would be more accurate and less misleading to say over 500.

Two thirds of the deaths are due to natural causes too. I'm not sure what they expect a prison to do about that.

Oh right - so everythings OK now!!!

I'm still asking what your point is.

If you actually examine the statistics, the suicide rate is lower than comparable population samples in various areas of the UK. Sure, it's higher than average but the prison population is not an average reflection of the general population. I don't for a minute think you'd bothered to check any of that out though.

To be fair, The Guardian seems to be the most guilty of being 'economical' with the truth. Although, for some reason, the link to the story won't work, the front page says:

Report shows 600 deaths in custody

· Rise in suicides to one-third of all deaths

· Campaign group blames overcrowding

· Mentally ill inmates 'need care, not punishment'

The first two statements are, if the BBC is correct, patently untrue.

The Independent says:

There were around 600 deaths in custody last year, including in prisons, young offender institutions and police cells.

Of those, around 400 were from natural causes and 200 self-inflicted, a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Justice said.

Once again, 600 seems to be a 'catchier' number than 523.

Oh right - so everythings OK now!!!

I'm still asking what your point is.

If you actually examine the statistics, the suicide rate is lower than comparable population samples in various areas of the UK. Sure, it's higher than average but the prison population is not an average reflection of the general population. I don't for a minute think you'd bothered to check any of that out though.

I'm just highlighting the news - like any good citizen. I didn't write the story.

Archived