[BBC News] New network 'will boost telecoms'

Newsbot

What does this mean?

I am not entirely sure. I have been following the BT 21CN\NGN closely for the past few years but I am fairly clueless about the MT NGN, I've picked up bits and bobs from Lucent\Alcatel marketing stuff, but there's nothing much through the official channels. You have to presume MT will be following a similar path.

As a comparison, BT Wholesale's CEO says himself that being open and transparent about the NGN is key and they are also involving industry at every step for their input (e.g. Consult21 programme). The BT stuff is very exciting and I applaud their open approach and the wealth of information available (http://www.btplc.com/21CN/WhatisBTsaying/Speechesandpresentations/Speeches.htm). The focus on engaging the wholesale market is reassuring, in part due to Ofcom's involvement.

If the MT NGN follows the BT NGN model (coupled with the Ofcom regulatory stance) it will include things like an all-IP network, ADSL2+ (24Mbps), "Broadband Dialtone", VoIP\SIP, presence services, fixed\mobile convergence, open-standards etc.

My biggest concern is from a regulatory standpoint. BT say themself that NGNs are driven by cost savings, "investment requires savings flow back to shareholders". It has also said that NGNs are a regulatory nightmare because "they are disruptive to traditional boundaries".

I think it's a great step forward for the Island - but (and it is a big but) - as long as the NGN is for the benefit of the Island, introduces new opportunies for all and is monitored closely by the various regulatory bodies\government then it's a good thing. There were similar concerns in the UK where ISPs and telcos are worried what affect the NGN will have on their business.

What does this mean?

I am not entirely sure. I have been following the BT 21CN\NGN closely for the past few years but I am fairly clueless about the MT NGN, I've picked up bits and bobs from Lucent\Alcatel marketing stuff, but there's nothing much through the official channels. You have to presume MT will be following a similar path.

As a comparison, BT Wholesale's CEO says himself that being open and transparent about the NGN is key and they are also involving industry at every step for their input (e.g. Consult21 programme). The BT stuff is very exciting and I applaud their open approach and the wealth of information available (http://www.btplc.com/21CN/WhatisBTsaying/Speechesandpresentations/Speeches.htm). The focus on engaging the wholesale market is reassuring, in part due to Ofcom's involvement.

There was a video I watched a while ago on the alcatel website. It had an interview with the C.E of MT and he explained things a bit. I did have a search round the site again for it when I saw this thread but I couldn't find it.

Sounds interesting stuff. Better then that "Modo" shindig anyway.

Archived