[BBC News] Manx Government 'failing carers'

Newsbot

Vote for Sylvia - ITV Carer of the Year Award

Date Submitted: 21/09/2007 16:15:34

Source: Crossroads Carign for Carers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Lonan woman, Sylvia Stoneman, has been short listed for the ITV Carer of the Year Award, and local charity Crossroads Caring for Carers (Isle of Man) are asking people to vote for Sylvia. Crossroads PR Coordinator Simone Rogers sad “We are delighted that Sylvia has been nominated for this award, she really is a truly remarkable woman who is a worthy recipient of much praise. We really do hope that people vote for Sylvia, not only to acknowledge the work that she does as a carer, but also in recognition of the amazing work done by the thousands of carers within the Island’s community.”

People can make their vote count by taking the following step:

Call 0870 241 7703, and select OPTION 1, for Sylvia Stoneman

Lines do not open until Friday 21st September, 18.30, please note all calls made BEFORE this time WILL NOT COUNT, and you WILL be charged! Lines close Sunday 23rd September at midnight. For full terms and conditions, visit the website www.itvcarers.com

The regional winner will be announced on Lookaround on Monday 24th September, and all finalists have been invited to a special party at the programme’s studios that afternoon.

If you missed Sylvia on Border TV, you can catch the round-up tonight (Friday) on Lookaround, Border TV at 6pm. It is advisable to check the telephone number also, as always, ITV are within their rights to change it at any given time, so PLEASE CHECK!

Sylvia Stoneman (ne Bridson) has been caring for people all her life, for her granny, in the army, in the pharmacy as a beautician and full time at home over the last 5 years for her husband John. Vote for her and get recognition for all the local carers. Picture in this weeks Manx Independent.

Please vote if you haven't already done so - it is easier than having to care full time for someone for years!

Society shows what it cares about by what it does. So do Forum members by what they read and are interested in.

Please vote if you haven't already done so...

Yeah right...that'll make a big difference to the estimated 5.7 million Carers in the UK and the estimated £57 billion a year the governement save by getting people to look after their own relatives at home. I'm sure most of the other real people that deserve this award probably haven't got time to watch telly.

I accept the Government should do more and a poll does little to assist with the real problems that many people have to deal with when they get old and become disabled.

However, If you are caring for a relative at home, tellywatching is usually the only leisure activity you've got. But of course you have to experience the problems to understand.

Please vote if you haven't already done so...

Yeah right...that'll make a big difference to the estimated 5.7 million Carers in the UK and the estimated £57 billion a year the governement save by getting people to look after their own relatives at home. I'm sure most of the other real people that deserve this award probably haven't got time to watch telly.

Begging your pardon Albert, but isn't this the other side of the 'Nanny State' card?

Personally, I have a greater concern for those trapped beneath 'carer' status and who probably out-number the official carers. Try as I might, I cannot get any health professional to take any interest in my Mother's wellbeing beyond recommending a weekly trip to Age Concern. She lives with us, and I am very happy for that because the other alternative was to worry about her living alone and all the potentials that can have. But now that she is with us, no professional (even her GP who I spoke to after a recent home visit, which itself was a major pleading, demanding exercise) seems inclined to assist, even in practical advice. Providing we are 'soldiering along' no one has any interest.

Bit of a shame really, because we cannot 'soldier on'; I cannot keep asking my 14 year old to help me pick up her Gran when her legs give way or to help in the other less savoury aspects. But it seems as long as we can do these things the state ignores us, to the detriment of Mum and, to be honest, the rest of us.

It seems the only way I suppose I can get any kind of help and guidance is to actually stop caring. What a pitiful irony that is.

Thank you Gladys for sharing with us this.

It is only when you have the extra responsibility of being a carer that you can appreciate what so many go though to help those in need. The whole family is involved - life changes - all so easy to dismiss when it is not you, but it might be some day.

Im a carer :) and I dont want any help, gratitude or money, I am happy to be useful. Thankfully its a temporary thing but its quite difficult to juggle all the things that need to be done, I do feel sympathy for other carers but Im soo not into the whole 'Prizes for the biggest carer ever' stuff, it trivialises a really serious thing into some 'hearts of gold' hi-de-di bullshit.

'Prizes for the biggest carer ever' stuff, it trivialises a really serious thing into some 'hearts of gold' hi-de-di bullshit.

Agreed 100000%

As a 'carer', I'd have more freedom if I was in prison doing a life sentence than I have now.

And I'd have more of a life.

Get the message????

Archived