Steam Packet Again Lol (engine Failure )

spikydu

They usually call the bloke in charge 'The Captain'. I notice when there is a fuck up somewhere he is relegated to being called called the *master.

*Edited: the Master

probably sucked junk into the water intakes again, seems to be a regular problem that

Last time it was, "Sorry, but the gearing system in engine 4 blew and we're waitin' for a spare part!" :angry:

I had to laugh everytime the engineers were called to unblock the bogs. :D

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Cpatain speaking. For our outward journey, we'll go around the south of the island and see if you can hang on to your breakfast." It's no use.....BLEEARRROOAGH!

• 2 weeks later...
the 'bloke in charge' of a merchant ship is the master - in charge of a RN ship is the Captain tho the latter title is often given to the former even tho they hold a Master's certificate.

I agree that on the Isle of Man where the Steam Packet has been so much a part of our maritime history that the Master of a ship is referred in civilian life with the title of "Captain", but there is one guy and his wife down at our golf club who is a retired merchant seaman but seems to require everyone to call him "Captain XXX".

He has even used "Captain" in the phone book.

In reality he is little more than a mercenary heavy goods driver of the sea (Oil Tankers and the likes).

Whereas I respect anyone who can command a ship, I do not feel that in normal life they should align their lives with people who have earned a Queen's Commission in the Royal Navy/Army/Air Force. Such people are mot only able command a vessel/aircraft, but often hundreds of men and women below them.

I treat all non-military persons who like to bolster themeselves with such titles with the greatest of doubt. Bullshitters in fact.

Whereas I respect anyone who can command a ship, I do not feel that in normal life they should align their lives with people who have earned a Queen's Commission in the Royal Navy/Army/Air Force. Such people are mot only able command a vessel/aircraft, but often hundreds of men and women below them.

I treat all non-military persons who like to bolster themeselves with such titles with the greatest of doubt. Bullshitters in fact.

Aaaaarghhh! No fish fingers for you - yer scurvy dog!

_42021788_captain_203jpg.jpg

...whereas some Rupert who went to the right school and knows which set of cutlery to use should be accorded ANY special privileges, because rather than navigating a large vessel, he's been taught how to kill people!

Respect is something you can only earn on an individual basis - most people can't bank it, no matter WHICH bloody silly title they choose to go by. Proper toffs don't even use the title, in my experience.

Only a minor problem today - gangway in liverpool didn't work so had to wait until all cars were off and leave via the car deck.

I hope this posts right - sitting on a bus through liverpool :) (I'm sad, I know...)

Archived