Everything In Douglas

Grianane

Someone poured a pint of beer over my head at Madness. Would this sort of thing happen in Douglas?

Definitly not!!

They would just hit you with the empty bottle??

Someone poured a pint of beer over my head at Madness. Would this sort of thing happen in Douglas?

Yes but in a much more stylish manner as befits the refined and elegant way of life in the capital. Why our chavs even carry nosegays!

muslim ones are best - apparently they blow themselves up
Except at Scottish airports where they just sort of sizzle.

Have you read this weeks examiner page 14 ?, where Mr Irving recieves the "T.A.Kelly " plate (for the second time) for services to Peel! obviously the residents of the town are not quite as cynical as your good self

Is the plate awarded through popular vote? Then I - also a resident - will concede your point.

From what I've seen of the the building work his company has undertaken,around Peel, most of it has been done to a very high standard and designed to preserve the character of the town!

IMHO, much of it is a phoney, chocolate box impersonation of the town's character, most noticeably the wretched Mariner's Wharf - an exercise in folksy fishing 'authenticity' for yuppies.

As for the quality of the work, I don't want to cite a lot of the stories I hear as they may well be no more than hearsay, but through the purchase of a very close acquaintance, I have seen the happy-go-slappy nature of these 'standards' - and the resultant headaches of the owner as they go about correcting them.

I do think he has done well in renovating properties within the town rather than supporting soulless developments on its fringe - thumbs up to him on that one.

Oh and by the way, I was born and brought up in the sunset City , so i'd like to think i'm qualified to have an opinion on the subject!

I don't doubt you are! ;)

But you can't tell me that man who (also in the Examiner) explained his prime motivation for the Peel Festival thus....

'I feel that we are only on this planet for so long, so we've got to try to improve our own lives and those of others. That's one of the main reasons why I did the festival'.

...isn't a) in danger of being consumed by his own ego and b) ripe for lampooning? A jolly thing though it was to see Bonnie Tyler playing in the world's biggest tent, it's hardly up there with finding a cure for cancer or ending poverty.

How long has Michael Eavis been doing Glastonbury? Yet you don't hear this self-effacing character carrying on as though he were a one-man crusade to boost the gross national happiness.

Lampooning ? (To the tune of Bonnie Tyler)

" Peel needs a hero, even though you know that his building works shite" he's got to be rich he's got to be tall ,he's got to have a perm and be white??

Got to admit to having looked round one of the new apartments in Peel, I was quite shocked at the poor standard (even though there were some nice fittings) of finish, and more so by the extraordinary prices which were being asked for them.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an altruistic developer - they are always in it for the money, and on the face of it there's a lot of money being made in Peel.

Archived