Geoff Cannell

Lonan3

IOM TODAY STORY

TT commentator Geoff Cannell has died.

Mr Cannell died on Monday after being taken ill.

Best known for his commentary work on the TT, Mr Cannell was a former news editor and sports editor at Manx Radio, as well as a regular correspondent on motorbikes for newspapers.

He was also MHK for Onchan from 1998 to 2001 and a serving member of the Board of Education.

He leaves a wife, Lynda, and daughter, Zoe.

Crikey. I saw him a lot in the Press Room at the Grandstand over the MGP week. He was still working hard for the racers, managing the press, interviewing the riders.

My one abiding memory of Geoff was sitting on my back wall, aged about 9 years old, watching him have a proper fistfight with some guy in the back lane behind my house. This guy's car was blocking the lane and Geoff got out of his and started to drive this other car off as the keys were in the ignition. Other guy wasn't that happy and dragged him out and they had a fight on the spot. Brilliant stuff. I don't remember who won.

I'm sure someone will step up to take over his role, but they're big shoes to fill.

My one abiding memory of Geoff was sitting on my back wall, aged about 9 years old, watching him have a proper fistfight with some guy in the back lane behind my house. This guy's car was blocking the lane and Geoff got out of his and started to drive this other car off as the keys were in the ignition. Other guy wasn't that happy and dragged him out and they had a fight on the spot. Brilliant stuff. I don't remember who won.

Must have been a habit - I saw him do something similar at a Douglas Head scramble years ago - when he thought he would help out by driving the St John Ambulances' ambulance down to the seen of an accident. No fisticuffs but he did get a one way conversation, with frequent use of the word 'off'.

Sad news. A great character. I bet he and Peter Kneale are commenting on heavenly races somewhere.

Whether you liked him or not - I once heard him described as being well-balanced in that he had a chip on both shoulders - Geoff was a real character with some cracking stories to tell.

A very sad day for the Isle of Man and for motorsport in general. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

R.I.P.

Not everyone agreed with what he had to say but he always said it with Honesty, Commitment and Conviction.

I always remember him for, " Remember, In Sport, Be a Sport " at the end off his sport slot on MR.

A Great Ambassidor to Manx sport over the years and will be greatly missed.

R.I.P GC

R.I.P. Geoff

I saw him just a few days ago at the Q.E. School prizegiving - just his normal self. A great loss to the Manx scene - a unique character - big in body, big in opinions - and not afraid to let you know what he thinks. Refreshing I thought.

My sympathies go out to his lovely wife and daughter, Linda and Zoe.

Archived