[BBC News] Condition review of island homes

Newsbot

Any information will be treated in the strictest confidence and will be used for statistical purposes only, a department spokesman said.

And the moon is made of cheese.

[/also cynic mode]

I hope they choose me so that while the inspectors are there I can open the window and let all the poisonous fumes from next door's oil fired boiler in. There is no oil equivalent of CORGI so oil boilers are allowed to have their exhausts virtually anywhere and the fumes from an oil boiler are some of the most disgusting and poisonous in the world. I have even had the Minister to my house who said there was nothing he can do. Needless to say he lost my vote.

Why was there nothing he could do? Couldn't he even suggest someone to refer it to?

He said it would require a lot of testing and a change in legislation. So basically, anyone can install an oil boiler anywhere as long as the exhaust is more than 1 metre away from any opening windows (not doors). It does not have to be above the roof height or anything. The consequence is like having a couple of diesel cars ticking over outside most of the time (in the winter).

A survey of the condition of privately owned houses and flats on the Isle of Man is to be launched next month.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7011998.stm

It would be better if they introduced higher building standards for new houses and decent grants for improving energy efficiency that are not means tested.

What about Environmental Health?

That was where I started and where the minister advised me to go back to. Basically, both departments just passed the buck. I am thinking of a way of building a partition between the houses to try to prevent the fumes from coming over.

Archived