Inovative Ways To Improve Tourism On Mann?

homarus

Innovative - "being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before."

So we come up with the same tired old dross (A general comment, not aimed at anyone in particular) - and then have the nerve to criticise the Tourist Board!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all very well talking about this activity and that activity, but surely if we are talking about bringing visitors over, we have to decide some very basic points first?, namely:
  • Is tourism on the island realistic? - especially given the opportunities people have to travel elsewhere on the same (or less) budget in the UK? i.e. why should people pay extra to come here - when the same facilities are available usually via a (much cheaper) train/car ride away?
  • Are we just paying lip-service to tourism - is it just a nostalgic discussion - when we could perhaps concentrate on diversifying the existing economy by attracting different businesses?
  • If tourism is a realistic prospect - then what is the 'minimum' number of visitors that are required per year to retain a tourist infrastructure on the island (hotels etc.) e.g. is it 0.5 million, 1 million or X million additional visitors? What percentage of GDP should it be? - i.e. set a target.
  • What activities are likely to encourage that number of visitors?
  • What can we do here, that others cannot easily replicate in the UK, or that we can do as well or better, but which justifies the extra expense of coming here for that activity

Many of these ideas like dry ski-slopes etc. are all very well, but IMO I wouldn't invest my own money on such schemes, as I consider them unrealistic business propositions. People do have facilities in the UK (I learned to ski on one myself). The reality is that people have better places and facilties to do these things in the UK e.g. the Lake District, Devon, Cornwall etc. In others words the UK has lots of sea and hills too!!! ...but no expensive ferry journey to get to them - which for the same price they could fly off and do their activities on the med coast. If there aren't too many facilities in the UK - you have to ask yourself why? - and you'll find the chances are the answer is that because they don't pay.

Why do I find myself agreeing with Albert most of the time? (I'm sure I'm a grumpy old man in waiting... :) )

Anyway, the only thing we could do that others could not easily replicate is (not that I'd want it at all)

legalise cannabis, and relax the smoking laws in pubs.

These two ideas are the only USP's that the Island is really in a position to offer over the UK.

However, I'd guess the sort of people this would attract would not really be benefical to the Manx Economy (i.e. people with lower spending power)

I really don't think that the Island *needs* a mass tourist market. Resorts that have sold out to mass tourism are IMO guilty of selling the soul of the thing that was once attractive about the place.. process / fleece the cattle and wait for the next bus load.... etc etc

Fair enough to market IoM to niche markets (i.e. people with higher spending power), - sailing / boating fraternity springs to mind or walkers or petrol heads, but as a general *mass* tourism location that will never happen, primarily for the reasons outlined by Albert, which is an excellent thing in my mind.

Whilst some get upset when so called "celebrities" knock the Island, on reflection, they are doing us a favour, as the less attractive to the masses the place seems, the more the people who actually matter (i.e. those who live here) can appreciate it's beauty and relative tranquility as a fantastic place to live.

The Manx people are proud and continually state that we are not part of the UK or Europe. We have a similar status in both too that of Jersey and Guernsey, both of whom have Duty Free or reduced sales at the air and sea ports. This alone would attract people and would cost the government nothing. A bit like in Spain or France, allow people to buy as much as they want (for personal consumption, as they can now) and take it back.

So, next the Steam packet organise "boose cruise" trips with a night's stay. People pay to come across, spend their hard earned cash, pick up their duty free and go.

Dry ski slope is my favourite of the aboves, followed by a decent racing track. The latter will never hapen though.

The Manx people are proud and continually state that we are not part of the UK or Europe. We have a similar status in both too that of Jersey and Guernsey, both of whom have Duty Free or reduced sales at the air and sea ports. This alone would attract people and would cost the government nothing. A bit like in Spain or France, allow people to buy as much as they want (for personal consumption, as they can now) and take it back.

So, next the Steam packet organise "boose cruise" trips with a night's stay. People pay to come across, spend their hard earned cash, pick up their duty free and go.

Dry ski slope is my favourite of the aboves, followed by a decent racing track. The latter will never hapen though.

NO NO NO!!!

Do you not realise how wrong you are when you say scrapping Duty will cost the Government nothing??

Duty (read Customs & Excise or VAT) receipts made up 69% of the Governments income during 05/06!!! governments of Guernsey and Jersey are considerably worse off without this income....

link 16.5 page 85....

NO NO NO!!!

Do you not realise how wrong you are when you say scrapping Duty will cost the Government nothing??

Duty (read Customs & Excise or VAT) receipts made up 69% of the Governments income during 05/06!!! governments of Guernsey and Jersey are considerably worse off without this income....

link 16.5 page 85....

I am sorry, I did not make myself clear. The duty free is at the air and sea ports just like in Jersey and Guernsey, both if which are far from duty free in all other areas.

At the moment there are basically no sales at the air and sea ports. However there is a shop ready to go at the airport, and the sea port would be easy enough. It would cost virtually nothing but bring in people. Getting people here is the key to tourism.

I am sorry, I did not make myself clear. The duty free is at the air and sea ports just like in Jersey and Guernsey, both if which are far from duty free in all other areas.

At the moment there are basically no sales at the air and sea ports. However there is a shop ready to go at the airport, and the sea port would be easy enough. It would cost virtually nothing but bring in people. Getting people here is the key to tourism.

you're still not making yourself clear.

Are you trying to say that if we sold cheap booze and cigs people would come to the airport / seaport just because of that and go home again ?

wouldn't happen because of too many reasons some of which include VAT, cost of transport here, aeroplanes can only carry so much weight, fat bloke at the airport would drink all the booze and smoke all the tabs before he let you off the Island again, etc etc

Getting people here is the key to tourism. - Cambon for Minister of Stating the Bleeding Obvious!!!!

Has anyone mentioned a monorail yet? - Or an escalator to nowhere perhaps?

200px-9f10.gif - simpsons.jpg

I think Hazell Hannan beat you to the monorail idea Albert!

P.s. Is that her on the right ?

you're still not making yourself clear.

Are you trying to say that if we sold cheap booze and cigs people would come to the airport / seaport just because of that and go home again ?

wouldn't happen because of too many reasons some of which include VAT, cost of transport here, aeroplanes can only carry so much weight, fat bloke at the airport would drink all the booze and smoke all the tabs before he let you off the Island again, etc etc

Getting people here is the key to tourism. - Cambon for Minister of Stating the Bleeding Obvious!!!!

Basically, yes. People in England/ UK cross the channel on a daily basis for this sort of thing. Ferrys from Portsmouth, plymouth etc. do trips to Spain (24 hours there, 12 hours in port, 24 hours back) just so people can get cheap fags.

As for VAT etc. all it would be is an extention of what happens at the Freeport.

Innovative - "being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before."

So we come up with the same tired old dross (A general comment, not aimed at anyone in particular) - and then have the nerve to criticise the Tourist Board!

Ok.........as I said somewhere else on the board the other day, weekend roads resemble Grand Theft Auto.

Since a very vocal group think it's their inalienable right to drive without speed limits of any sort and in a manner, they themselves pitifully and arrogantly proclaim is safe whatever they do, then lets take it further.

Live Grand Theft Auto.

Shut off roads ala TT, give the tossers a selection of weapons and let them kill each other however they want whilst indulging their love of driving like ultimate f*ckwits.

Would be a superb spectator sport.

I fear there's a lot of people who would actually enjoy watching and pay well for the privilege.

Would appeal to the speed kings who think they are the bees knees.

You could charge a hefty entrance fee. Sky TV rights etc etc.

Would also have the side benefit of effectively reducing their numbers without involving/maiming the innocent.

Job done!

PS No medical facilities, casualty extraction etc.......only fair.

( edit for spelling )

"Innovative Ways To Improve Tourism On Mann?"

De Pook says Forget it. If it is not TT you are wasting your time. They are only interested in targeting and piling all the funds in promoting two weeks in end of May/early June.

The rock has soooo much to offer, but do we promot? Not a chance. TT or nothing.

Archived