Inovative Ways To Improve Tourism On Mann?

homarus

And the Conservatives have announced a £25K tax on non-doms for the privilege. Either way, it looks like that class of UK resident may be chucking more into the UK's coffers; scope for a few to move here?

I doubt it because the "Tick the box and pay £25K" is half what the Manx government want for them to "tick the box" = £50K.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really seems as though most of the 'innovations' suggested in this thread are really meant to provide facilities for ourselves rather than attract visitors. Multiplex cinemas, bowling alleys, ski slopes etc might provide us with more to do, but they're not going to have anyone cancelling their cheap, all-inclusive holidays to the sun-drenched Caribbean in order to holiday in the IoM!

We should really be concentrating on providing proper facilities for those who are regular visitors, particularly those who come on business: reliable and reasonably-priced transport to and from the island; hotels of a genuinely decent standard, a selection of good quality restaurants and perhaps a few bars that don't allow drunken chavs to spoil everyone's night out.

apart from accomodation (and even that seems to be at best dual use) it is difficult to see how any significant capital intensive building for tourists could pay - thus dual use is essential. The Island might be able to compete in the conference market but has no decent facilities for such tho I suspect the high airfares (and unreliable service) have now killed any market. The out-of-season Weekend breaks need low-cost transport to compete against easily accessible UK destinations - the obvious market in Northwest England is badly served by a highly unreliable Liverpool boat.

What do most people spend their disposable income on? Thinking about my spending while reading this thread I realised that my family do loads of free things while putting money away so that we can go away a couple of times a year. apart from the odd movie and meal on birthdays most of my spare cash for fun things is spent off island.

It has to be niche markets. The Parish Walk (can't see a run somehow), for example, could be sexed right up and grown into a very large international event. Perhaps team up with a large charity for promotion, say the British Heart Foundation, and make it a high profile event which will attract distance walkers worldwide. At the same time though, there could be mini walking challenges for different sectors of the whole walk; e.g. a particularly hilly sector could be the 'Uphill Walking Challenge', or an easy sector could be the 'Family Challenge' etc. etc.

We have the raw material for a great many niche attractions; walking, bird watching, archaeology, coastal pursuits (I am told that we have on of the best seas for windsurfing) they just need packaging.

Estimated Tourism budget 2007/8

Management £170,000

New Product Development £346,000

Quality and Service £771,500

Communications £1,840,100

Events £4,025,000

They've got enough money to package and promote all those things.

-about 6 million quid.

Maybe they could start with making sure existing campaigns are displayed ok? Can't really read the slogan on that one.. (spotted in a pub car park on Liverpool the other day). I'd want a refund if that was my poster...

liv02.jpg

liv01.jpg

A poorly positioned and innefective advert in a Liverpool pub car park. What dimwit thought that one out?

Estimated Tourism budget 2007/8

Management £170,000

New Product Development £346,000

Quality and Service £771,500

Communications £1,840,100

Events £4,025,000

They've got enough money to package and promote all those things.

-about 6 million quid.

Money down the drain.

I would also argue that the Department of Tourism should be closed and a new marketing department set up to market the IOM in all its guises (tourism, sports, finance, exports, film, space, yacht and aircraft registries etc.) externally. You would hope this would achieve economies and also a consistent and coherent message to the outside world.

A damn fine idea. Might trim the extravagant away parties to Monaco etc.

Face it, crap, expensive transport links, poor facilities, little joined up thinking = further decline.

Some very good and constructive posts in this topic which should be read by those in power and acted on.......fat chance.

Anybody got any idea ,How many staff are employed within the D.T.L., what sort of budget they have etc???

Why not go and buy a copy of the IOM Budget 2007/8 the pink book from Tynwald Library? It's all in there.

Management and service delivery 346 staff

plus

75.5 at Villa and Gaiety Complex (I'm not sure what they all do)

2 at Manx Welcome

plus 31 seasonal workers

Total staff 454.8 including all the bus drivers

Budget for 2007/8 £34,946,100

What I don't get is this?

A lot of the things the D.T.L. seem to be pushing to attract tourists have their roots in the 1800's( Railway,Wurlitzer, laxey wheel,trams etc)

The Victorians were obviously go ahead , innovative people! and the above mentioned things would have been cutting edge in thier day!, so how sad is it, that the people responsible for tourism and Leisure in this present Day do not seem to possess the imagination or drive to come up anything new, to encourage people to come here ?

Or is it fear ?, fear of putting your ass on the line, and implementing an idea that may not work!

Far better to push the same tired old ideas? after all you can't be held responsible for something you did not implement!

Personally I would much rather see the D.T.L. try and improve facilities for both the population of the Island and visitors, and possibly fail?

rather than sit on their hands and do nothing waiting for a pension!

So where does 'Branding' and 'Freedom to flourish' sit in all this? Things seem to have gone very quiet recently, plus there seems to be little information on the gov branding website - though you can still find the original branding reports on searching.

There's no point in spending thousands of pounds saying everything is wonderful if people arrive to find it is not.

Has anybody seen the sad souls wandering round Douglas looking for something to do on their Autumn holiday?

Beyond the Manx Museum what is there for them?

What I don't get is this?

A lot of the things the D.T.L. seem to be pushing to attract tourists have their roots in the 1800's( Railway,Wurlitzer, laxey wheel,trams etc)

The Victorians were obviously go ahead , innovative people! and the above mentioned things would have been cutting edge in thier day!, so how sad is it, that the people responsible for tourism and Leisure in this present Day do not seem to possess the imagination or drive to come up anything new, to encourage people to come here ?

Or is it fear ?, fear of putting your ass on the line, and implementing an idea that may not work!

Far better to push the same tired old ideas? after all you can't be held responsible for something you did not implement!

Personally I would much rather see the D.T.L. try and improve facilities for both the population of the Island and visitors, and possibly fail?

rather than sit on their hands and do nothing waiting for a pension!

Perhaps they need to employ a couple of young graduates who have actually studied tourism and have visted other places.

Maybe too many of the civil servants here just drift upwards and have never worked anywhere else.

Perhaps they need to employ a couple of young graduates who have actually studied tourism and have visted other places.

Maybe too many of the civil servants here just drift upwards and have never worked anywhere else.

Maybe they just need to give up and give the money to those who know how to run their businesses and understand why people come here.

Archived