Inovative Ways To Improve Tourism On Mann?

homarus

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd second that Squelch. I actually think the Freedom to Flourish DVD is very good and captures a lot of what we all hold dear, apart from the whirling dervishes on the RBSI building, but that apart I think it is a good piece of PR. When is it ever used?

I think this is the one they show on the boat....which seems a bit thick as people are already on their way over by that point.

The DVD shown on the boat is "Shore" which is a local rip off of the BBC Coast series, but is nevertheless quite good

On the last few crossings I have been on non of the crew has thought to press Play, so all we got was the title for several hours

What I meant by my original comment, was tourists like visiting towns they have not been to before, and generally using that towns facilities

Have you ever been to the Isle of Man? What "facilities" are on offer for tourists? You can't even have a piss in most towns as the public loos are closed so I'm wondering just what facilities you think people want to come here and use?

Yes I have been to the Isle of Man on numerous occasions, as recent as this year.

Are pubs and restaurants not classed as facilities?

The IOM could easily cater for the long weekend holidaymakers, if it was marketed right. Not all long weekends have to be in busy tourist traps. Some people just want to get away for a few days.

I find it strange on a topic on improving tourism, that even the hint of a suggestion that your island may be worth visiting is shot down in flames by 2 different posts! ;)

[

I find it strange on a topic on improving tourism, that even the hint of a suggestion that your island may be worth visiting is shot down in flames by 2 different posts! ;)

That's because you don't live here

There is a sizeable section of our population who make the Scots (even the Fifies ) seem positively Mediterranean in their outlook

[

That's because you don't live here

There is a sizeable section of our population who make the Scots (even the Fifies ) seem positively Mediterranean in their outlook

:lol: Surely not as bad as the Fifies! :o

Are pubs and restaurants not classed as facilities?

Only to the local population - the standard of pubs and restaurants over here (with a couple of exceptions) is well below what you can find elsewhere. There's no clubs, few "family style" pubs and restaurants with outside dining (even when the weather is good enough and there are no passing chavs). Even amongst the restaurants that there are, the variety of food is poor.

Before someone tells me to get on a boat, I like it here, but the island seems to have "lost" something over the past 20 years. It's good in parts, but let's face it, it could be a hell of a lot better if the Government stopped sitting on its hands. We've got half a billion quid in reserve, after all.

So where does 'Branding' and 'Freedom to flourish' sit in all this? Things seem to have gone very quiet recently, plus there seems to be little information on the gov branding website - though you can still find the original branding reports on searching.

Branding Champions seem to be the usual suspects giving prizes to each other and being photographed for the paper.

So where does 'Branding' and 'Freedom to flourish' sit in all this? Things seem to have gone very quiet recently, plus there seems to be little information on the gov branding website - though you can still find the original branding reports on searching.

Branding Champions seem to be the usual suspects giving prizes to each other and being photographed for the paper.

post-127-1192134882_thumb.jpg

Really they need a lesson in 'branding' if this is the best they can do as a show stand. It's a bit in the style of school art competition at village fete.

• 6 months later...

It's all here....

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/tourism/trade//...ourismstra1.pdf

I came across this recently and am still trying to understand it as a 'strategy'.

Lots of 'nice' ideas but for me at least no hard analysis of the current position (and past trends) as a basis for moving forward and no vision of what is unique or special about the island.

Is it what Dame Edna Everidge calls 'colour and movement'?

OK I read the first paragraph and got bored.

Vision 2020. Sounds like some bollocks they (we) paid 2 million quid for a 'buzz' word.

'Tourism' and 'Freedom to Flourish' don't really belong in the same sentence really do they?

The last company I worked for had a 5 year plan to be all big and great and then fecked off from the island within 2 years.

Ah well. Shit happens.

As a regular visitor for 55 years, I must add my 2p worth. I have often thought about how to bring back the tourists. I first visited on a school trip from Liverpool, and my brother recently took a group of youngsters to play football against your best. These early visits inspire fond memories when the adults have disposable income.

So start with more school trips from across.

In respect of the kite surfers, I think the sewage on the north west coast needs attention.

Everywhere needs modern clean open public toilets. In Weston super Mare they are staffed and win prizes. I believe that in europe eg Austria they are used to CLEAN places. Promote gourmet fresh fish meals. Keep the crops GM free.

Most brits do not speak a foreign language, so the advantage of speaking English in the IOM could be highlighted.

No foreign misunderstandings. You can't get lost, so it is safe to explore. The TT course on the mountain road needs another 3 large picnic view spots where visitors can stop and admire the view, and wee. These should be set with footpaths accessible to most. Ditto for the roads North of Laxey and North of Peel. Whale watching is big business. A regular round the island trip, for nature watchers, must be established. (obviously subject to weather). A sailing school could be promoted. I agree that the island is a photographers paradise.

The current excellent reliable bus service can be promoted. Aim to get the tour de france to do a leg in say 5 years time, they did London.

I think that over the next 10 years the island should provide enough higher education to reach University status. This would bring in both foreign and UK students with consequent benefits.

Give me the job!

Archived