La Niña Was To Blame...

Lonan3

...for our lousy summer!

Met Office scientists have found that La Niña is likely to have played a part in the abysmal British summer. By upsetting the usual track of the high-altitude jet stream towards Britain, it delivered barrages of slow-moving Atlantic depressions with torrents of rain.

LINK TO STORY

More importantly, though:

A chronic drought afflicting southern California and many southeastern states of America could be exacerbated, with Los Angeles heading for its driest year on record. In contrast, western Canada and the northwestern US could turn colder and snowier. Mozambique, southeast Africa, and northern Brazil may face exceptionally heavy rains and floods, while southern Brazil and much of Argentina suffer drought.

La Niña could even rearrange the pattern of sea ice around the Antarctic, pushing the ice pack towards the Pacific side of the continent. Already, torrential rains have triggered severe floods across a huge swath of Central Africa, stretching from Senegal in the west to Uganda in the east.

• 2 weeks later...

a ha.....take that tree huggers everywhere! Now where's that big rubber tyre I wanted to burn? I need to load it up into my 4 litre petrol driven land rover to drive, with the air conditioning on, to the furthest landfill site from here!

Archived