[BBC News] Drink drivers pay for own rehab

Newsbot

Sorry if I missed something, is there a problem with this?

The problem is that you "pay your dues to society" in terms of a fine, a prison sentence, a driving ban, community service, costs to the court, whatever that may be. That's the punishment, and you have to take it on the chin.

Charging people money once they're on the other side of the fence, as part of their recovery, is a very different proposition.

Drink driving is a serious offence, which is reflected in the fact that those convicted have their licence suspended, get heavily fined, and in very serious cases, get sent to jail.

Once they've gone through all of that, having "paid their debt" - asking them for £60 to be able to complete their recovery is shite.

Thin end of the wedge, anyone?

(I've never been nabbed for DD myself so it's not an overly personal opinion in that regard, there's just something about the principle of it that strikes me wrong.)

Another visible sign of the bizarre double standards that exist on the island. The severity of the penalties for drink driving are made crystal clear. The far more dangerous aspect of motoring, that of speed, continues to be unrestricted on many of the island's roads. Extraordinary. I'd rather accept a lift from a motorist who'd had a few pints than one I knew to be a boy racer, albeit sober. And I can't imagine getting into a car that looked like it had some aeroplane wing parts tacked onto the back of it, a common sight around the island, usually accompanied by a stupidly loud exhaust pipe.

Another visible sign of the bizarre double standards that exist on the island. The severity of the penalties for drink driving are made crystal clear. The far more dangerous aspect of motoring, that of speed, continues to be unrestricted on many of the island's roads. Extraordinary. I'd rather accept a lift from a motorist who'd had a few pints than one I knew to be a boy racer, albeit sober. And I can't imagine getting into a car that looked like it had some aeroplane wing parts tacked onto the back of it, a common sight around the island, usually accompanied by a stupidly loud exhaust pipe.

Your attempts at trolling have seen better days...

The course is only open to people convicted of driving offences in court.

According to the Isle of Man probation service, which runs the programme, of 56 drivers who have attended the course since 2005 nobody has reoffended.

That may sound like good news - no reoffenders - but the fact that there were 56 (and that's only the number who were caught and convicted) in two years seems alarming to me. Isn't the message getting through yet?

Archived