Orange Army On The March!

Pook

This really is out of hand. How can the EU (including the French twats that support the Junta) let this continue? I hate being helpless, and I feel very helpless regards those monks. This is one time when I would really really like there to be a God.

This really is out of hand. How can the EU (including the French twats that support the Junta) let this continue? I hate being helpless, and I feel very helpless regards those monks. This is one time when I would really really like there to be a God.

I think you are being a little harsh on the French:

Sarkozy urges French firms to shun Myanmar

"France calls on all of its private companies, for example Total, to show the greatest restraint in their investments in Myanmar, and to not make any new ones," Sarkozy told reporters after meeting Myanmar opposition politicians.

"The situation is extremely worrying and we cannot accept behaviour that would run counter to human rights and the right to protest ... France will not let the Myanmar opposition be muzzled," he added.

But as with Tiananmen I think we've sat and watched while a repressive government has massacred on a large scale people protesting for democracy, more openness, and less corruption.

But what can really be done? Are people really expecting the UN to invade or something?

Sanctions are already pretty broad - the US has already extended them - I'd be in favour of the EU doing more, but.

For me moral pressure is important and does work - about the only organization that rejects democracy even in principle is Al Qaeda! - I found the double speak of the Myanmar dictators' puppet mouthing on about the importance of democracy at the UN fascinating and very very ironic in the circumstances.

From a report on the UN 'debate.'

The EU-authored text was softened several times to ensure that all countries, including China and Russia, join the consensus.

"Strongly condemns" in the original text was changed to "condemns," and then weakened again to "strongly deplores."

Some countries chose to divert the session on human rights in Myanmar to other topics, with the Islamic bloc, represented by Pakistan's Ambassador Masood Khan, contending that "more innocent civilians have died in Palestine a few days ago in 24 hours as a result of Israeli military action than in the whole of Myanmar" but this "has not received the same degree of attention from the media or this Council"

SOURCE

Mealy-mouthed and ineffective... as ever.

Mealy mouthed for a good reason I presume, China are not reknowned for their own human rights so I imagine the EU are playing 'softly softly catchy monkey' with them. Wether it will work or not....hmmmmmm

As for Palestine, pah! what was Masood thinking of? Isreal and Palestine are both war lording menaces to themselves, I dont think he could have picked a worse comparison.

So there we are, democracy suppressed whilst the rest of the world watched and made soothing noises. Good result for the generals.

UPDATE from the Independent

Monks confined in a room with their own excrement for days, people beaten just for being bystanders at a demonstration, a young woman too traumatised to speak, and screams in the night as Rangoon's residents hear their neighbours being taken away.

Harrowing accounts smuggled out of Burma reveal how a systematic campaign of physical punishment and psychological terror is being waged by the Burmese security forces as they take revenge on those suspected of involvement in last month's pro-democracy uprising.

"There were about 400 of us in one room. No toilets, no buckets, no water for washing. No beds, no blankets, no soap. Nothing," said a 24-year-old monk who was held for 10 days at the Government Technical Institute, a leafy college in northern Rangoon which is now a prison camp for suspected dissidents.

"Some of the novice monks were under 10 years old, the youngest was just seven. They were stripped of their robes and given prison sarongs. Some were beaten, leaving open, untreated wounds, but no doctors came."

Which, of course, the UN 'strongly deplores' but doesn't actually 'condemn.'

Your right that it doesn't condemn the violence, but this is a pretty significant move - especially as it was unanimously adopted with China's approval. To be blunt I'm surprised China would agree to this - they've never done it before - it is very good news.

The UN Security Council has adopted a statement deploring Burma's military crackdown on pro-democracy protesters.

The move indicates a shift of position by China, which had previously used its veto to stop the council from criticising Burma's military junta.

The statement "strongly deplores the use of violence against peaceful demonstrators" in Burma and calls on the junta and all other parties "to work together toward a de-escalation of the situation and a peaceful solution".

It also calls for the early release of "all political prisoners and remaining detainees", urging the junta to prepare for a "genuine dialogue" with opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The statement - which, unlike a resolution, requires the consent of all 15 council members to be adopted - was issued by Ghana's UN Ambassador Leslie Christian, the council's president.

So there we are, democracy suppressed whilst the rest of the world watched and made soothing noises. Good result for the generals.

What do you suggest be done instead? Sanctions rarely work (and they've been tried before), which leaves only military intervention in the form of peace keeping or engaging the Burmese government in the hopes of cultivating influence (which, to a certain extent, relies upon not alienating the generals).

Quote from http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/case_for_sanctions.html

The USA is the only country that has imposed effective sanctions on Burma. It banned new investment in 1997 and banned imports in 2003. The EU imposed a limited investment ban in 2004, but the British government has admitted that no investment has been affected. There are no United Nations sanctions against Burma, not even an arms embargo.

In fact China and Russia supply most of the arms.

An investment ban might concentrate minds.

The regime depends on foreign investment and foreign trade for a substantial part of its income. It is essential to cut those lifelines in order to force the regime to the negotiating table. As long as the regime and its associates are financially secure they have no incentive to reform. Sanctions will affect the regime’s own support base far more acutely than they will affect the majority of Burma’s people.

It would off course need countries/companies to put human rights above making money.

And there perhaps lies the main problem and a possible resolution?

On a personal level, people may like to visit http://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions_details.asp?ActionID=331.

Archived