Stu Peters Gets Put In His Place Over Airport Runaway

nipper

I would much prefer fewer flights at lower cost using larger planes
How big do you want? They've got to get in (and out) of the short runways both ends

That's the point. A longer runway would allow larger planes which would be more cost-effective on the London route.

There isn't enough traffic on other routes to make a difference.

So the best solution might be to save the money planned for the airport expansion and use it to reduce the landing fees. That way we'd get cheaper flights and avoid a massive capital outlay which will actually put prices up.

S

If you are referring to London City as the destination, the type and size of aircraft used for this route is dictated by the nature of London City airport and not the IOM.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would much prefer fewer flights at lower cost using larger planes
How big do you want? They've got to get in (and out) of the short runways both ends

That's the point. A longer runway would allow larger planes which would be more cost-effective on the London route.

There isn't enough traffic on other routes to make a difference.

So the best solution might be to save the money planned for the airport expansion and use it to reduce the landing fees. That way we'd get cheaper flights and avoid a massive capital outlay which will actually put prices up.

S

If you are referring to London City as the destination, the type and size of aircraft used for this route is dictated by the nature of London City airport and not the IOM.

I am aware of that. I was referring to London Gatwick, London Luton, London Stansted and London Heathrow. The last two don't serve the IOM at present, but they could, especially when the new runway is built at Heathrow.

S

One of the reasons for Jersey's tourist industry being larger than ours is duty-free. When you mention Jersey, that's one of the things that first comes to mind, and I know it has been uppermost in the thinking of friends of mine who have visited Jersey.

Bit silly to choose a destination based on the fact that you can come home having saved a fiver on a bottle of Gordons (and perhaps a tenner on fags), but there you go.

Bergerac put it on the map, too.

Perhaps Freg can come up with a pilot for a hard-drinking Celtish detective with a penchant for driving fast on our presently unlimited roads. Clarkson could play the baddie. Type-casting is the name of the game in TV.

S

Perhaps Freg can come up with a pilot for a hard-drinking Celtish detective with a penchant for driving fast on our presently unlimited roads. Clarkson could play the baddie. Type-casting is the name of the game in TV.

Perhaps:

'A Touch of Frost and 9 months winter, 3 months bad weather'

'Dandara Holmes - and the sheer luck planning mystery'

'Geoff Corkish - missing in inaction'

Perhaps:

'A Touch of Frost and 9 months winter, 3 months bad weather'

'Dandara Holmes - and the sheer luck planning mystery'

'Geoff Corkish - missing in inaction'

Dandara Holmes? Like it.

Surely "inaction" could apply to any MHK?

S

But is that the same as the runway extension?

If you are referring to the tower it is additional capital expenditure to the runway extensions.

Surely "inaction" could apply to any MHK?

You're right of course, but I think Geoff deserves a special mention because of his manifesto

Though to be fair there are others on the same site. Over 2 years in and not a lot has happened.

Lonan did an excellent series of posts/polls prior to the election, it would be interesting to see a similar assessment this year IMO - half way through their terms.

Question in Tynwald today:

4. The Hon Member for Onchan (Mr Karran) to ask the Chief Minister –

In view of substantial shortfall in revenue to the Isle of Man Treasury on

account of the decision by the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer to reduce the

Standard Rate of VAT to 15%, as well as other external factors, why the

Council of Ministers has not cancelled, or deferred, the construction of the

promontory into the sea at the eastern end of the main runway at Ronaldsway

Airport?

Well the two of course are hardly related in IoM moneymoneymoneyland, so we'll see what Tony says on the matter anyway.

Question in Tynwald today:

4. The Hon Member for Onchan (Mr Karran) to ask the Chief Minister –

In view of substantial shortfall in revenue...

I'd feel more enthusiastic if it wasn't Peter Karran asking it, and someone with a little more weight.

I think he'll be fobbed off.

It would solve Alan Bells problems overnight if they have the guts to put it off. But I was speaking to a senior contractor involved at the end of the summer, and as far as I am aware, the stone has been dug/ordered, equipment/people booked etc. etc. so expect the 'we are far too down the line', or 'penalties would be incurred' BS answers etc. etc. IMO they will probably be lucky to get half of the money back at this stage even if they do cancel.

The best saving opportunity was missed last year - giving the airport director 6 months off on paid leave.

He was fobbed off. It was an answer of about half a dozen words. I don't want to sound disrespectful but Tony Brown just might as well have said "Fuck off".

Peter Karran asked a rather involved supplementary question regarding the need and budget for the project. All very relevant, but it seemed he was sneered at by many other members of Tynwald. Unfortunately this is often the case when Peter Karran asks a question.

So, the contract will not be cancelled.

He was fobbed off. It was an answer of about half a dozen words. I don't want to sound disrespectful but Tony Brown just might as well have said "Fuck off".

Peter Karran asked a rather involved supplementary question regarding the need and budget for the project. All very relevant, but it seemed he was sneered at by many other members of Tynwald. Unfortunately this is often the case when Peter Karran asks a question.

So, the contract will not be cancelled.

The contract can't be cancelled because its already been paid for :(

When I said you would be down to the cr4p small aircraft. I should have been more clear.

Relatively speaking in regional terms we have the bigger regional aircraft coming in now. (Regional not city links)

If the runoff area isnt done. You could easily see flybe pulling their e190s and dh8-q400s out and that means no more flybe. (one of the biggest regional airlines in europe)

You would be left with the little 20 seater manx2 things and with no competition they could charge what they like.

So that was my point , people whinge now about paying 50 quid or something to fly safely on a embraer 190 jet,

but without the runoff extension you would be paying 200 quid to fly in a coldwar polish prop piece of sh1t

Runoff extension ftw!

When I said you would be down to the cr4p small aircraft. I should have been more clear.

Relatively speaking in regional terms we have the bigger regional aircraft coming in now. (Regional not city links)

If the runoff area isnt done. You could easily see flybe pulling their e190s and dh8-q400s out and that means no more flybe. (one of the biggest regional airlines in europe)

You would be left with the little 20 seater manx2 things and with no competition they could charge what they like.

So that was my point , people whinge now about paying 50 quid or something to fly safely on a embraer 190 jet,

but without the runoff extension you would be paying 200 quid to fly in a coldwar polish prop piece of sh1t

Runoff extension ftw!

I still think there is a lot of BS 'flying' about on all this, especially given the alternatives available. To factor in some of 'the eventualities' of the E190 for example, you'd need to extend Ronaldsway out another 800 metres.

Archived