Norman

Pat Ayres

There used to be a nice example of public art outside the town hall, just up from the 'c**t on the corner', a statue of N Wisdom sitting on a bench. It disappeared some time ago from that location only to reappear in front of 'normans' the new bar at the Sefton Hotel.

How is that decided to be the new setting for this piece, has he bought the piece and who actually owns it, it could be on loan or rented, if so are all pieces of local art for rent?

Stockholm has the "Little Mermaid

It's actually in Copenhagen - been there years ago, it's really rather little...

I meant Copenhagen

Probably the best fucking smartarse in the world: Armadeus

Just pointing out a little geographical error..and it's Amad..ok, I shut up now :)

I noticed the Norman bench outside the Sefton the other night. Although I hope it has been rented for a fee etc., you have to admit it is probably going to be seen by more people on the prom than by the Town Hall.

Edited to add; but it is now, technically, on private property.

Maybe David Christian and co could enlighten us, on second thoughts they ae too busy organising a meeting to make sure the horses are not named without the councillors permission.

I heard they're naming the horses after councillors and corpy officials. Watch out for 'Overpaid', 'Out of Touch', 'Totally Unnecessary', 'Tangent', 'Wink Wink', 'Nudge Nudge', 'Egotistical' and 'Waster' - though you are unlikely to see 'Lightning' or 'Captain Efficiency'.

Actually it was paid for by the Douglas Development Partnership, it looks quite good outside Normans Bar, quirky, and a lot more people will see it there that outside the Town Hall.

If it wasn't paid for I'm thinking of opening Bengalese Restaurant in upper pulrose, thinking of calling it "Norman's", do you think there's any chance I could have a loan of the statue?????????????????

It always seemed a very poor likeness of the subject to me and just seemed like some metal weirdo leering at the local youngsters. Norman's Bar, if they wish to be associated with it should purchase it and keep it indoors for the punters eyes only. Otherwise perhaps it should be melted down. With the real thing, who was after all a clown, now in retirement, isn't it time the island moved on from this particular strand of hero worship?

Archived