[BBC News] Anti-social Manx drivers stopped

Newsbot

Getting people into court for such offences as using a mobile phone or not wearing a seat belt is a waste of everyone's time. The police taken off the road to complete all of the form-filling, then having to waste time hanging around court to give evidence while advocates make a few more quid representing clients who can't be arsed to turn up and face the charges.

On the spot fines would be quicker and easier. After all, these 'undercover cars' have the ability to provide video evidence so there shouldn't be any need for further proof. I'd suggest £100 for not wearing a seat belt (the only person they're likely to hurt is themselves) and £250 for mobile phone use while driving.

I nearly agree with you but make them Fixed Penelties so that (a bit like a parking fine) there is no court action required. Same for broken lights, etc.

With the "dark season" approaching, this is the time to crack down on this.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually got a bit excited about the headline, as I thougth itr refered to the type of knob head that hurtles down my street at 2 in the morning, over revving in 2nd gear, over sized exhaust booming popping like there's bombs going off outside your house. That is my definition of anti-social driving.

However, I'm guessing these unmarked police cars aren't out past 5.30 in the evening

With regards people not wearing seatbelts and using mobiles I think a good deterrant would be a nice little spell in a virual reality RTA. Or perhaps hypnosis to induce the same effect. Scare them into compliance with the law as current deterrences do not seem to have any effect.

I'm all for these undercover cars - and reports suggest the number of people stopped show they are making a real difference. This is the ideal answer as opposed to speed limits and speed cameras, as they are out to target exactly the sort of drivers that do cause accidents - i.e. the distracted drivers, the lunatic overtakers, drunk drivers, those that speed in built-up areas, the traffic obstructors and those people not maintaining their cars properly etc. These people would still be around causing accidents and havoc - speed limit or no speed limit, cameras or no cameras.

This is, IMO, the ideal response to what the Safer Island Driving (SID) was lobbying for - i.e. target the problem drivers, stop them, fine them and educate them. If that takes a fine that helps pay toward the operation of these cars, then at least we can be sure those that are at fault are paying for the undercover cars - instead of some nanny state lowest common denominator legislation such as speed cameras, which bad drivers will soon know the location of and ignore anyway, and which don't detect all of the above factors. These undercover cars will do nothing other than improve people's driving and vehicle maintenance skills, and leaves decisions in the hands of experienced traffic cops where they belong. I do agree that all of these 'stops' should be given greater publicity - as it will only help to get the message across.

This, along with more effort on learner drivers e.g. simulators etc. and the island could show the way forward on how to realistically reduce accidents. Meanwhile, I hope someone is carrying out a detailed study of this approach, which I think would make an interesting report.

I actually got a bit excited about the headline, as I thougth itr refered to the type of knob head that hurtles down my street at 2 in the morning, over revving in 2nd gear, over sized exhaust booming popping like there's bombs going off outside your house. That is my definition of anti-social driving.

One of my neighbours has a Smart car. He's put 4 (four) bloody exhausts on the thing, and it sounds like a couple of motorbikes. Wakes me up every morning. Twat.

I am presuming they named the Operation after the Guns 'n' Roses song Mr Brownstone?

Erm, I get the feeling you don't really know what that song is really about....

I think the answer is yes, which is why it is amusing in a police context, hence why it was pointed out ;)

I am presuming they named the Operation after the Guns 'n' Roses song Mr Brownstone?

Erm, I get the feeling you don't really know what that song is really about....

I think the answer is yes, which is why it is amusing in a police context, hence why it was pointed out ;)

Ok, so how does a song about herion have anything to do with anti-social driving?

Ok, so how does a song about herion have anything to do with anti-social driving?

It's called "operation Brownstone", therefore they share the same name...

Sorry, forgot to put my brain in this morning --- probably a good idea to actually read the article before spouting off

:unsure:

It's called "operation Brownstone", therefore they share the same name...

Sorry, forgot to put my brain in this morning --- probably a good idea to actually read the article before spouting off

:unsure:

Definitely 10/10 for that one Ms Aflames.

Well, there is a good bit of ill - informed debate on here, so I'll try my best to level things up.

First of all, who said anything about tickings off? - the 150 that I referred to have all walked away at least forty quid lighter - and some are waiting to go to court. There were some who were warned, but they are in something of a minority.

Secondly - Brownstone (which is a randomly assigned name from an alphabetical list - we aren't allowed the fun of making them up any more) was something of an 'introductory offer' where people were give an sporting chance to conform. I don't think I could have been more overt, about covert, if I had tried.

Third - Anything that puts either the driver at risk (seatbelts) and therefore puts us through the trauma of picking bits of glass out of them, or other motorists at risk (mobile phones) is pretty anti social.

finally, there is a three sided approach to road safety, Education, Engineering and Enforcement. Get the first two right, and the third should just be a wash-up. Considering the general image of traffic cops as petrol-wasting right-wingers, I would have though that people would have been generally happy that we were trying to be a bit more creative and up front in our approach.

Believe me, the one thing that drives me is something Robert Peel said

"The measure of Police Success, is the absence of crime and disorder"

Para phrase that into something more trafficky, and when we are going to less bumps, then we know we are getting there.

PS The poster who states they were met head on by a police car on its way to a job. If you contact me at police headquarters, I will look into your complaint.

Regards

Derek

so even though you have had a law for a number of years that says seat belts should be worn most do and some don't. this proves that you do not get 100% compliance just because you have a law on something. the same would be for say a speed limit - mosty will probably comply others won't. what if you sneeze and cause an accident? at the point when you sneeze you are probably not in control of your car so are you prosecuted for dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention? or is a sneeze "an act of god"? the only way to have 100% compliance is to have a totalitarian police state - maybe that is what the police and enforecement officials dream is the ideal.

Space - the final frontier.

Live long and propser.

Archived