[BBC News] Anti-social Manx drivers stopped

Newsbot

I have to agree with most of this apart from 'Engineering' - WTF is that all about?

In respect of speed traps, I suggest that the traffic cops get a bit more clued up about the legislation and the parameters that they are operating within.

I was stopped earlier this year (allegedly) speeding, and I successfully contested it on the basis that a traffic sign was hidden - contrary to Section 22 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985.

Ironically, this paragraph was immediately below the one I was allegedly in breach of on my summons!

I did the community a favour by pointing this out and guess what...the sign is still obscured. How are you meant to know what speed limit is in force if the signs are hidden? I know it's the DOT's responsibility and Government Departments don't talk to each other.

so point it out to the DOT and inform them you are going to note the date you told them and the date it gets sorted and if it's an unreasonable time tou'll tell us all on moaning line. should be sorted quite soon.. that said, i have a feeling you were probably aware of the speed limit but got off on the finite technicallity. i have heard somewhere about someone parked on double yellows who got off because the double yellows were worn and 'broken' i.e. not a continuos line. the law says to the effect unbroken double yellow lines. if they weren't, they weren't, even if they were once.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over here in the UK, we could learn from the Isle of Man in respect to the R plates for new drivers. Especially in the north of Scotland where the roads are unforgiving, each weekend there are fatal accidents due to new young drivers showing off to their mates. Some proposals by the Scottish Government is to limit the number of passengers that a new driver can carry in their first year of driving, and also have a curfew on how late at night a new driver can drive. No mention though of limiting their speed. Of course none of this has been made law yet.

Do the islands R plates restrict passengers, or is it just the speed?

The other problem over here is the dependency on speed cameras. OK, no one should speed, but even the most careful driver can find themselves caught out. The cameras mean the cops don't have to have as many patrols on the road. So plain bad driving can go undetected, but woe betide anyone that has crept up to 35 in a 30 limit! Bad driving does not have to involve excess speed. It can be driving with no consideration, i.e. not indicating, cutting other cars up, and generally having no awareness of what is going on around you on the road. No camera is going to solve that.

I hope the island doesn't go down this route, and sticks to traffic policing the old fashioned way.

Also regarding the point someone made about possible unroadworthy cars being on the islands road. I know you have the Manx Test, but does anyone think it would be better to have an annual MOT like the UK? At least it would mean the unroadworthy cars would get caught out at some point.

Bad driving does not have to involve excess speed. It can be driving with no consideration, i.e. not indicating, cutting other cars up, and generally having no awareness of what is going on around you on the road. No camera is going to solve that.

And you think you could learn from us? The highlighted examples are more the rule than the exception here.

And you think you could learn from us? The highlighted examples are more the rule than the exception here.

If they ever bring an MOT in on the Isle of Man I guess the check list will be

Indicators not working

Seatbelts not functioning

Mirrors not fitted (or at least not used)

Hands freecar phone not fitted.

Over size exhaust fitted.

If vehicle is a diesel truck / bus / psv etc then fuel cap must not fit correctly.

Any one think of any others ?

Forget it, no sensor needed when a woman is at the wheel because she will know that being able to just see your hand in front of your face is not a test of adequate visibility. You must be able to see the rear view mirror to put your lipstick on.

Police Officers aren't allowed to choose the names of their covert operations themselves, but have to pick from a list? That must be half the fun of being a policeman gone write there. Next they'll stop them making up their own handles when they use the radios.

Forget it, no sensor needed when a woman is at the wheel because she will know that being able to just see your hand in front of your face is not a test of adequate visibility. You must be able to see the rear view mirror to put your lipstick on.

:lol:

I think the police should choose Manx/Viking names for their operations; you know, 'Operation Eric Bloodaxe', 'Operation Odin's Defender', 'Operation Thie Veg Deliverance' (the latter being connected to misdoings in the IRIS scheme).

It would give it all a Wagnerian bite!

Archived