[BBC News] Anti-social Manx drivers stopped

Newsbot

I came up behind an Audi RS4

Just when I was rounding Windy Corner and about to pass a car travelling at around 50mph on the exit, the Audi shoots up the inside travelling at racing speed and weaves around overtaking cars on the way to the 33rd.

The car is quite capable of Superbike speeds, but is a good deal heavier and wider than a motorcycle, there is no way he would have been able to avoid me if I had indicated to move out, he came so quickly that I was unable to see him in my mirrors on the bend.

This could have been a similar incident to the one at Union Mills where the driver has absolutely no consideration for others and drives in a totally selfish manner at a time when the roads are busy.

I'll be looking out for reports of an Audi RS4 involved in a high speed accident!

Was this getting on towards 4.30 / 5 ish ? Blue RS4 ?

(It wasn't me by the way but all might become clear)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just when I was rounding Windy Corner and about to pass a car travelling at around 50mph on the exit, the Audi shoots up the inside travelling at racing speed and weaves around overtaking cars on the way to the 33rd.

The car is quite capable of Superbike speeds, but is a good deal heavier and wider than a motorcycle, there is no way he would have been able to avoid me if I had indicated to move out, he came so quickly that I was unable to see him in my mirrors on the bend.

This could have been a similar incident to the one at Union Mills where the driver has absolutely no consideration for others and drives in a totally selfish manner at a time when the roads are busy.

I'll be looking out for reports of an Audi RS4 involved in a high speed accident!

Yes, just about that time and it was blue.

i had one of them pass me and a few others on the cronkyvoddey a bit earlier, it had a personalised reg using a 5 as an S with man at the end if you follow?? it was quick and i doubt he exceeded 100mph but still a berk

...and also have a curfew on how late at night a new driver can drive...

That's a bit OTT - curfews. Do it to one group and you set a precedent to do it to others. Plus - what if someone works nights or has to drive in an emergency etc?

In New Zealand, if you are under a certain age I believe that you have to have someone over the age of 21 sat in the car with you after a certain hour at night, failing to observe this simple rule gains you quite a hefty fine! On a different note, couldn't we wuite simply make it so that you have to undergo a certain number of night time driving hours under instruction either prior to or immediately after taking your test? (within 6 months for those passing their test in the summer months).

How about on the spot fines for the grey haired "nissan micra " sunday drivers (you know the type! 25mph smack in the middle of the road!)

You don't even need a patrol car to catch them , Just run alongside and slap the ticket on the windscreen!

I was on the CBR that slotted into the gap he left in his wake as he passed you.. I'd headed from Douglas to the top of the mountain mile and turned round and was heading back towards douglas. I was only catching him up as he got caught up in traffic as I wasn't prepared to take the risks he was taking.

He didn't leave much margin for error as he went up the inside of you on windy - as you say if you'd hit the indicator and pulled right unsighted (not expecting anyone to overtake in the chevrons) it would have got messy.

The worrying one for me was the next pass he made crossing the double whites and then having to squeeze into a gap that really wasn't there. The car he passed made room for us (thanks btw) but there was no way I was going through unsighted.

He again got stuck in traffic below the creg and I passed him - I follow the speed limits and he caught me up by the Nook so clearly he was speeding in the 40/30 zones.

I was on the CBR that slotted into the gap he left in his wake as he passed you.. I'd headed from Douglas to the top of the mountain mile and turned round and was heading back towards douglas. I was only catching him up as he got caught up in traffic as I wasn't prepared to take the risks he was taking.

He didn't leave much margin for error as he went up the inside of you on windy - as you say if you'd hit the indicator and pulled right unsighted (not expecting anyone to overtake in the chevrons) it would have got messy.

The worrying one for me was the next pass he made crossing the double whites and then having to squeeze into a gap that really wasn't there. The car he passed made room for us (thanks btw) but there was no way I was going through unsighted.

He again got stuck in traffic below the creg and I passed him - I follow the speed limits and he caught me up by the Nook so clearly he was speeding in the 40/30 zones.

I was seriously thinking of reporting him for his own good (and everyone else's), he's going to have a big one some day and probably thought I was a slow tosser because I was just out for a gentle ride!

It's selfish people like this who are going to ruin it for everyone!

pm mr Flint, the reg is easily worked out from a previous post, probably find it's a rich twat ( RS4's aren't cheap ) so nowt will happen, in fact you'll probably get yourself convicted for being poor and blocking the way??

there is no way he would have been able to avoid me if I had indicated to move out

When I learned to drive it was always Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre. You saying you move out at the same time as manoeuvring? To be honest in my experience you're more the exception in that you even bother to signal unlike many bikes.

It's ok, I know the reg. number XXXMAN.

Correct me if I'm wrong but posting peoples reg numbers without consent isn't allowed on this forum? Suggest that's removed before a mod does.

Having re-read your comments again you begin to sound more and more sanctimonious. Are you sure you're not just bitter because a) you were overtaken and b) is was a car. So many bikers have this holier than thou attitude towards other road users. In my experience there's just as many bikers that are morons as there are car drivers (proportionately) and from what you're saying you really weren't doing anything much different than he was, albeit a bit slower.

Correct me if I'm wrong but posting peoples reg numbers without consent isn't allowed on this forum?

We don't encourage it because we don't know where we stand on it and we're not prepared to pay for expensive lawyers to find out. So yeah, please don't do this.

there is no way he would have been able to avoid me if I had indicated to move out

When I learned to drive it was always Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre. You saying you move out at the same time as manoeuvring? To be honest in my experience you're more the exception in that you even bother to signal unlike many bikes.

It's ok, I know the reg. number XXXMAN.

Correct me if I'm wrong but posting peoples reg numbers without consent isn't allowed on this forum? Suggest that's removed before a mod does.

Having re-read your comments again you begin to sound more and more sanctimonious. Are you sure you're not just bitter because a) you were overtaken and b) is was a car. So many bikers have this holier than thou attitude towards other road users. In my experience there's just as many bikers that are morons as there are car drivers (proportionately) and from what you're saying you really weren't doing anything much different than he was, albeit a bit slower.

Apologies, you are probably right about the number.

Sorry if I sound sanctimonious but I can assure you I'm not, neither am I bitter at being overtaken. I do ride carefully on open roads and I have other outlets for my lust for speed so I don't need to satisfy myself by blasting around and blowing everyone off the public road, which is exactly what this guy was doing. It was dangerous, selfish, irresponsible He'll end up in a box and take others with him if he doesn't watch what he's doing and I'll tell him that to his face if he likes!

I suppose you would have to see what was going on to appreciate it!

Hang on there - I was behind the audi and saw exactly what he did - he crossed into the chevrons in the middle of the corner (check your highway code for that one) without indicating, then promptly crossed the double whites afterwards whilst passing another car before indicating left and 'forcing' his was back in. And there was an oncoming car..

What Maxpower didn't do but might have done isn't the issue here. What actually happened is.

You got an Audi Larsen ?

You got an Audi Larsen ?

Nah, used to have one but swapped it for a Land Rover, now I just worry Sheep and I've even had to cut back on that since the court order.

I have been on the receiving end of the odd irate driver before now. People who spend their driving lives behind the wheel of a 1.3 Fiesta have little to no appreciation of what a modern fast car is capable of in terms of acceleration and braking. What in your judgement might seem like not enough room to overtake may look very different when you're familiar with the capabilities of a faster car. Having driven cars similar in performance to an RS4 I know you don't need nearly as much room to overtake as you may think. I've overtaken people, pulled back in and been 300-400yrds up the road before now when an oncoming has flashed me, and they weren't saying hello. As Max Power is a biker I would expect him to have a better understanding of what I'm getting at than most people hence the "sanctimonious" comment.

Still, as you say I wasn't there so don't know the specifics of this case, so mine is a more generalised defence of "faster" drivers.

Archived