Logging

bluemonday

Clicky but make sure no one is watching

The Home Office said the content of calls and texts would not be read and insisted the move was vital to tackle serious crime and terrorism.

Well thats alright then..................

Data about calls made and received will also be available to 652 public bodies, including the police and councils.

625??????

All under the reason/pretence/excuse of 'fighting serious crime and terrorism'...............

This absolutely stinks. It was also reported in the Daily Telegraph and the Daily Mail but I could not find coverage in other media.

Basically this an EU Statutory instrument which the UK Government has enacted without debate. Over 700 UK Government departments will be able to read your itemised telphone bill - apparently for any reason and without restrictions. The opportunites for abuse and interference in peoples private lives are huge.

Will the UK authorities be able to look at my Manx Telecom bill in the Isle of Man??? I think we out to know what is going on with this issue.

The opportunites for abuse and interference in peoples private lives are huge.

Huge? Please explain in-depth this 'huge' abuse. I'm happy for anyone to have a look through my texts and itemised bill. What they gonna do, arrest me for nattering to my mum or sending my girlfriend the odd x-rated text?

Huge? Please explain in-depth this 'huge' abuse. I'm happy for anyone to have a look through my texts and itemised bill. What they gonna do, arrest me for nattering to my mum or sending my girlfriend the odd x-rated text?

Fine. You are happy for anyone to peep at your private life. However, I am not. I want the principles of the Data Protection Act upheld. Namely, that if an organisation receives personal information for one purpose they may not use it for another purpose. The UK is probably the only country in the world outside of communist China which would even think of making everyones itemised telephone bill public property.

I think it's right that the appropriate people should be able to get access to this information should the need arise for them to find out. I don't see any reason for this information to be made available to ~700 organisations for no apparent reason.

I really don't see why this directive is required. If I commit a serious crime, the police are already able to obtain my records by following the proper procedures. This really is a step too far and one that must surely contravene the Data Protection Act as has been already stated.

I think it's right that the appropriate people should be able to get access to this information should the need arise for them to find out. I don't see any reason for this information to be made available to ~700 organisations for no apparent reason.

Yep, happy to be watched and protected.

The problem is of course, the people this is directly targetting can very easily circumvent eavesdropping.

Archived