[BBC News] Island hotel may be knocked down

Newsbot

A landmark hotel on the Isle of Man could be demolished to make way for a new housing development.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7025083.stm

You'd think they'd get the name of the hotel and it's location right!

I don't know if it's a registered building, but given The Majestic 's demise I don't suppose it would make any difference anyhow.

The Grand Island is shagged, just go and have a walk around it, or even better, have a walk inside it.

Ramsey simply can't sustain a hotel of that size, and whilst in many ways it would be a shame to lose such a fine old building, the reality is that it's had its day.

Not sure that the island is really in desperate need of any more apartments though.... Mind you, the buy-to-let brigade need a constant source of new properties to keep their stranglehold on supply and prices!

Your right, the days of the GI are long past, people don't holiday in hotels like they used to , they want a comfortable room a decent eatery and a car park. Its a rest point not a place of resort, and the GI isn't used by holiday makers the way it was designed to be or it was in its heyday.

I'm all in favour of the new hotel in Parliament Street as it has been thoughtfully designed to fit in with the existing architecture and is where a hotel should be, in the town centre. The suggested design for The Mooragh is something quite different ... it's an absolutely hideous steel and glass abomination which looks totally out of place, that allied to the fact that it is completely wrong to put something like that in a totally residential area. And as for the GI ... I realise it is unviable as a hotel and should become apartments but the building should be restored and converted not demolished.

an absolutely hideous steel and glass abomination which looks totally out of place, that allied to the fact that it is completely wrong to put something like that in a totally residential area.

Isn't that the Dandara/Heritage Homes standard operating procedure? S*it everywhere we can??

Don't have a great problem with apartments there but would prefer a sympathetic conversion keeping the shell rather than outright demolition.

Presumably this idea will prove too expensive so I will await the mysterious fire once the building has been left derelict for a while

Don't have a great problem with apartments there but would prefer a sympathetic conversion keeping the shell rather than outright demolition.

Presumably this idea will prove too expensive so I will await the mysterious fire once the building has been left derelict for a while

Have you sen the state of it? There's bits and bobs tacked on to it all over the place. It's ugly, there's nothing worth keeping as the bits that made it a good looking building 'back in the day' have been removed, covered up and otherwise lost due to unsympathetic conversions and extentions over the years. They could try a bit of facade retention but imo the facade isn't anything special. The only thing it's ever had going for it is its size and location, a new development would look better and make better use of the land.

The Grand Island is shagged, just go and have a walk around it, or even better, have a walk inside it.

Ramsey simply can't sustain a hotel of that size, and whilst in many ways it would be a shame to lose such a fine old building, the reality is that it's had its day.

Not sure that the island is really in desperate need of any more apartments though.... Mind you, the buy-to-let brigade need a constant source of new properties to keep their stranglehold on supply and prices!

I actually stayed in th Grand Island overnight about 5 or 6 years ago and thought it was pretty good, to the point that I have considered staying there a couple of times since. Has it changed that dramatically?

On the buy to let property front, that is nearly dead. Since the sub prime and Northern Rock issues buy to let mortgages are very hard to find. If you have the cash, fine, but forclosing on buy to let is the biggest UK problem area at the moment and it is only a matter of time before it hits here.

They could try a bit of facade retention but imo the facade isn't anything special. The only thing it's ever had going for it is its size and location, a new development would look better and make better use of the land.

The facade in the Newsbot link is quite attractive with that dome. Surely that could be kept?

Your right, the days of the GI are long past, people don't holiday in hotels like they used to , they want a comfortable room a decent eatery and a car park. Its a rest point not a place of resort, and the GI isn't used by holiday makers the way it was designed to be or it was in its heyday.

No shit Sherlock.

I can not or do not know of any Hotel on the Isle of Man that relies on Tourism.

I definitely do not know of a decent eatery/restaurant that serves decent food at reasonable prices.

I do know of plenty of Hotels/Restaurants/Eateries that serve up shite and charge over the top prices for what is basically bistro food or at best pub grub at its worst.

I sometimes wonder if anyone has actually been to a Michelin star restaurant and compared prices/service/quality to the establishments we have over here that are similar only in price.

If one is working in the finance sector and needs/has to take a client out to an eatery/restaurant, one can only think of sheer embarrassment at the fare on offer. None and far between.

Michelin restaurants are fair with price to food but the wedge is made on the wine. Also those close to Michelin are also fair.

To eat out on the Isle of Man is at best poor and I would be up for slander if I named.

If you know your grub you will know your frozen food.

Of course this my own personal opinion and is not a reflection of what other members may believe and will no doubt be subject to a damn good slating.

How very dare you.

He is over the last

He Is Over The Last - have you not tried the Five Continents at The Regency or The Swiss Chalet in Glen Helen?

Both very agreeable restaurants and not over the top on their pricing for what you get imho. I also like Casa Rosa at Glen Duff but you can't enjoy a glass of vino there sadly.

I had the pleasure of dining in two Michelin restaurants on a trip to Germany a few years back (one was 3 star rated, the other - in our hotel was 2 star rated) both experiences were something else but I don't know if it's something that would necessarily be viable on the Isle of Man (I could be wrong there, I guess that depends on just how many high flying exec's come to visit the island on business throughout the course of a year).

Archived