Whores, Politicians And Ugly Buildings

cheeky boy

"Whores, Politicians and ugly buildings all get respectable if they live long enough"

Heritage / Dandara come in for all the stick, but I doubt if they would even make the top ten when it comes to the Island's ugly buildings

My top three:

The Government Planning office on Mount Havelock, the mouldy fiberglass Doric columns cheapen an already cheap & nasty office block

The Post office HQ on Circular Road, a soulless facebrick monstrosity. Won an award for the worst new building in Britain

Those hideous apartments on Queens Prom, I think they were thrown up by JG Kelly.

Flat Soviet style frontage with plastic mouldings glued on over tiny windows in a laughable attempt to fit in with the Victorian

neighbours

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Post office HQ on Circular Road, a soulless facebrick monstrosity. Won an award for the worst new building in Britain

I know that building well, I worked in it for 6 years. Horrible place to work - little natural light inside, air conditioning non-existent, inside divided up into lots of little glass boxes (not very open plan). Just grim.

It was common knowledge in the PO that the design was obsolete before they even started building it.

I really dislike the office on the prom, where the villiars was, and the 'town square' next to it. Fucking ugly it is, should never have been allowed on the prom.

I used to wonder how they ever got permission to build (what is now) the Hilton. When it was built you had the historical facade of the Castlemona Hotel with it's small collenade on one side and the beauty which was the Lido / Palace ballrooms behind.

How, therefore, did a predominantly concrete rectanglular block sit with those surroundings?

Of course, the ugliest buidling of all is no longer with us. Summerland.

Those hideous apartments on Queens Prom, I think they were thrown up by JG Kelly.

Flat Soviet style frontage with plastic mouldings glued on over tiny windows in a laughable attempt to fit in with the Victorian

neighbours

God I couldnt agree more about that building and dare I say it but when you compare them to the ones along the road that have been built by the world famous Manx developer :angry::( the ones they have built are beautiful in comparison.

cheeky boy you also forgot to add about all the copper gas pipes on the front of the building and toilet or sink overflows as well :(

Last 10

I used to wonder how they ever got permission to build (what is now) the Hilton. When it was built you had the historical facade of the Castlemona Hotel with it's small collenade on one side and the beauty which was the Lido / Palace ballrooms behind.

How, therefore, did a predominantly concrete rectanglular block sit with those surroundings?

Yes, the Hilton seems to be built arse about face. The entrance is around the back of the hotel. With all those ugly little cube-like rooms next to car park it's not exactly pleasant, is it?

The Bank of Scotland near the Bottleneck car park. What were they drinking when they designed that?

The newish apartments up between tynwald st and demesne road look fairly bad with big areas of lead on the front of them.

Looks like something that 'the workers' lived in, underground, in Metropolis.

Lord st is pretty grim as mentioned though.

I know that building well, I worked in it for 6 years. Horrible place to work - little natural light inside, air conditioning non-existent, inside divided up into lots of little glass boxes (not very open plan). Just grim.

It was common knowledge in the PO that the design was obsolete before they even started building it.

That's one of my favourite buildings in Douglas. At least from the outside. I like the contrast of the choclate brown bricks, with the cream bit at the top. So much nicer than the grim grey or mucky white of most of the blocks in town. Also completly lacking the Victorian bad taste of the older buildings and the faux Victorian naffness of most of the newer ones.

For a really embarrassingly ugly building take a look at the Wedding Cake.

The Government Planning office on Mount Havelock, the mouldy fiberglass Doric columns cheapen an already cheap & nasty office block

I've often contemplated the irony of the planning office being in what must be the shittest building on the Island. It looks like an overgrown set out of Legoland with its crappy plastic columns with their obvious casting joints stuffed with badly applied bath sealant.

My number 3:-

The new Police Station by Walpole Avenue. It looks like the Munsters House.

The place that looks like a Thermos flask on the old Mylchreasts renta-car plot on Circular Road. No idea what its called.

The Dandara flats on the corner of Princess Terrace. How the f**k that roof and window line ever got approved is a miracle to me. There must be 900 flats in there all about 3m square.

The Hilton was built in the mid sixties when continental holidays were seen as being very upmarket and this looked like the kind of thing you might find in Spain.

People generally liked the building whereas the Lemon Squeezer, built slightly earlier, was widely ridiculed.

Demolition of the Hilton would be welcomed with the same enthusiasm as the demolition of Summerland was, but I would imagine a lot of resistance to the same fate befalling the Sea Terminal

Archived