Whores, Politicians And Ugly Buildings

cheeky boy

Which is exactly my point.

Had Loch Promenade not been ravished by demolition over the past ten years, then I am sure it would hold an architectural status not dissimilar to the splendours of Bath.

That's stretching it a bit. Bath's crescents are justifiably celebrated both for being masterpieces and some of the finest examples of Georgian architecture. The promenade, on the other hand, has nice buildings but they're fairly standard Victorian seaside fare.

I have to confess that I quite like the Royal Bank of Scotland building.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nobles Park Art Deco Loos,an ocean liner ships bridge with lettering to die for"

Yes i'm sure lots of people must have spent many happy hours up there, over the years?

Stoking the boiler!, the hot steaming funnels!

It must have been a wonderful sight ??????

Mr Sheik, a pint is yours should our paths cross - if only for mentioning Get Carter!! Top post though, couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately my walk to work involves traversing the length of Market St, which encapsulates everything that is has gone wrong with Douglas and it's wonderful "planning" department. Granted, it's now little more than an access road but it includes such delights as Chester St car park (a sawn off version of the Get Carter car park but even more boring), Markwell House (more suited to Slough), Markies & the multi-storey and worst of all, the insurance building at the Victoria St end which stands on stilts. Even the good folk of Cumbernauld would complain about this.. Then, towering above you are the arse end of the Lloyds and former Skandia building, reminding you how soulless the town has become.

:lol: Wouldn't hold your breath for the pint Mr Sheik. Spartacus buying a round, hilarious :D

Also the quote about Cumbernauld. For those not familiar with the place, it is a New Town about 15 miles from Glasgow. The housing is fine, but the town centre is a concrete shopping centre dating from the late 60's. With a dual carriageway underneath it.

Over the past 6 years they announced a new town centre would be built. It eventually arrived this year. Another concrete box tacked onto the side of the old town centre! If you click on the link you will see the centre before the new bit was added.

Click Here

Some of the buildings to the right of the picture have now been partially demolished, with a large shoe box of a Tesco added. The actual new town centre has no better shops than the old one! And there's still a dual carriageway running underneath it. Can we send our planners to live on the island? Please? ;)

P.S. The photo actually dates from the 70's, there is a bit more landscaping round about now, but not enough to hide the town centre.

I don't have any problem with the demolition of guest houses on the prom. If they were still there all we would have now is long rows of decaying/derelict buildings with no great architectural merit.

Just because they are Victorian doesn't necessarily mean they are works of art.

The real problem is the unimaginative tat that has gone up in their place. New buildings don't have to be ugly, it's just that over here the majority seem to turn out that way

Also the quote about Cumbernauld. For those not familiar with the place, it is a New Town about 15 miles from Glasgow. The housing is fine, but the town centre is a concrete shopping centre dating from the late 60's. With a dual carriageway underneath it.

Over the past 6 years they announced a new town centre would be built. It eventually arrived this year. Another concrete box tacked onto the side of the old town centre! If you click on the link you will see the centre before the new bit was added.

It didn't stop Cumbernauld coming second to Hull in the definitive book of British "Crap Towns"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A1316396

Classic quotes from residents at the time the town received its accolade were:-

"I think it's an absolute tragedy that anybody has to live somewhere that bleak in modern Britian, it just looks like the fallout after a nuclear war"

and "I shudder to think what the town that's worse than Cumbernauld is like, I'm not gong there on holiday."

It didn't stop Cumbernauld coming second to Hull in the definitive book of British "Crap Towns"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A1316396

Classic quotes from residents at the time the town received its accolade were:-

"I think it's an absolute tragedy that anybody has to live somewhere that bleak in modern Britian, it just looks like the fallout after a nuclear war"

and "I shudder to think what the town that's worse than Cumbernauld is like, I'm not gong there on holiday."

Well, Cumbernauld got its act together, and instead of winning Crap Towns, won Channel 4s "Demolition" programme, as the building most people would like to see demolished.

I was brought up in Cumbernauld (don't live there now), and the town centre has always been what the town has been most infamous for. Think Summerland on a much larger scale, that's the only way I can describe it!

"Nobles Park Art Deco Loos,an ocean liner ships bridge with lettering to die for"

Yes i'm sure lots of people must have spent many happy hours up there, over the years?

Stoking the boiler!, the hot steaming funnels!

It must have been a wonderful sight ??????

My thanks to Homarus for lowering the tone of an otherwise reasoned and informed debate

Archived