Government To End Nuisance

Tempus Fugit

Wow !, that'll stop'em :P

(scene set, room full of people with furrowed brows busily scribbling loads of new laws)

Car park clamp down

09/10/2007 05:39:19

The government is set to end nuisances in the Chester Street car park in Douglas with a set of new bye-laws.

The rules come into force on November 1 and Tynwald will discuss them when it sits on Tuesday next week.

The Department of Local Government and the Environment has come up with the bye-laws in response to complaints about some of the activities in the multi-storey town centre facility.

Anybody found breaking the laws will face a fine of up to £1,000.

Jason Roberts reports (text, below, from attached audio file):

The new rules outlaw singing, shouting, loud noises, playing musical instruments, playing ball games, fly-posting, leafleting vehicles and annoying or abusing car park users.

Also banned are skateboards, roller skates, bicycles and scooters and although it may be obvious you won’t be able to put up tents or light fires.

But it’s not just pedestrians who are being targeted – drivers can’t clean or repair their cars there or sleep inside their vehicles.

And it will also be an offence to advertise your vehicle as being for sale.

you'll not be able to park in there soon, so what if you want to park your scooter there ?

Wow !, that'll stop'em :P

(scene set, room full of people with furrowed brows busily scribbling loads of new laws)

Car park clamp down

09/10/2007 05:39:19

The new rules outlaw singing, shouting, loud noises, playing musical instruments, playing ball games, fly-posting, leafleting vehicles and annoying or abusing car park users.

Also banned are skateboards, roller skates, bicycles and scooters and although it may be obvious you won’t be able to put up tents or light fires.

But it’s not just pedestrians who are being targeted – drivers can’t clean or repair their cars there or sleep inside their vehicles.

And it will also be an offence to advertise your vehicle as being for sale.

you'll not be able to park in there soon, so what if you want to park your scooter there ?

Phew ... dogging still allowed though. Its starting to get cold at night.

Darn it, and I was going to take the kids camping there!

Have to say though, if you use that car park after the main evening home time rush, there are quite a few skateboarders. Pretty dangerous and who would be in the wrong if you hit one? But, I agree, isn't this a matter for the Corporation rather than the whole of the IOM Government machine?

"A friend" once changed his oil in that car park late at night, didn't use a bucket to catch the old oil either!

As for the car for sale thing, this probably means you are breaking the law if you park your car to go shopping and leave your "for sale" sign in the window?

It's good to see they haven't banned pissing in the lift stairs. :angry:

"A friend" once changed his oil in that car park late at night, didn't use a bucket to catch the old oil either!

As for the car for sale thing, this probably means you are breaking the law if you park your car to go shopping and leave your "for sale" sign in the window?

It's good to see they haven't banned pissing in the lift stairs. :angry:

Well, what a twat your friend is! It's really difficult disposing of waste oil responsibly.

Have to say though, if you use that car park after the main evening home time rush, there are quite a few skateboarders. Pretty dangerous and who would be in the wrong if you hit one?

...depends if you were going over the posted 5mph speed limit.

I bet they've had literally 3 complaints and it's time that something was done. I myself heard somebody singing in there & was quite frankly appalled. The amount of times you see someone skateboarding in, haveing a game of jai alai, setting up a tent, distributing flyers, burning them for warmth and having a sing-song round the fire doesn't bear thinking about.

Still, there was a young lad in there the other day with a haircut that quite annoyed me. I'm glad that I now have some legal recourse.

Shame that it's as close to a leisure centre as the IOM gets. Perhaps it would be easier to make it an over-65-only car park. Or an over-65-only island, come to that.

Can somebody please show me the by-law enforcement officer that can outrun a skateboarder?

Or can someone show me a by-law enforcement officer, come to think of it?

Thought so...

Can somebody please show me the by-law enforcement officer that can outrun a skateboarder?

Or can someone show me a by-law enforcement officer, come to think of it?

Thought so...

They're probably all busy down the beach, enforcing the bye-laws about dogs being at large.

IOM Law is all about principles. We're all such law-abiding paragons of virtue that the very idea of breaking a car-park bye-law would be of the utmost repugnance to us. There is no need for enforcement, as the law-makers well know.

So a mass trespass on November the 1st would be completely redundant.

Archived