Government To End Nuisance

Tempus Fugit

Can somebody please show me the by-law enforcement officer that can outrun a skateboarder?

Or can someone show me a by-law enforcement officer, come to think of it?

Thought so...

They don't need to outrun them now, they just get their tazers out.

Or can someone show me a by-law enforcement officer, come to think of it?

Look in Harrys cafe. Seems to be a full time corpy rest room/canteen.

A closer look at the bylaws suggests it will soon be illegal to:

• Demonstrate in Douglas - without permission
  • For kids to play football in the street
  • For kids to ride a pedal cycle or skate, slide or ride on rollers, skateboards or other self-propelled vehicles in the street
  • For kids/adults to play anywere including on private property next to a street, or where someone might get annoyed
  • Work on your car in the street
  • Sell condoms on street corners
  • Obstruct people going to/from church
  • Piddle in the street, open area or foreshore
  • Let off stink bombs
  • Advertise your business on the street outside
  • Sleep in your campervan without permission
  • Feed, or attract the gathering of gulls, pigeons or other wildlife, by providing any food in any street, open area or foreshore
  • Own and park more than two vehicles on the street
  • Not bringing your bin in on the day it is emptied
  • Hang your washing out at the front or side of your house

"These Byelaws shall cease to have effect ten years after they have been approved by Tynwald." Let's hope Tynwald throw most of them out. They really know how to put the FU in fun.

Manx Radio Report Listen to the clip too.

"The new rules, effective from November 1, will ban singing, shouting, loud noises, ball-games, skateboarding, bicycles and scooters among other things"

"This is just a small minority of people".

Personally I see all of the above as a part of living. Imagine someone making a "loud noise". They would need to install video equipment with calibrated microphones to assess whether the noise was loud or not.

The Estates Manager sounds like someone who has spent a lifetime complaining about the things kids get up to and at last has reached the dizzy heights of his ideal job where he can weald his new found power for his own ends.

A bit like Victor Meldrew winning the lottery and then plotting to put into action his plan to rule the world.

What about all those signs along Douglas Promenade warning us not to sit or stand on the walls! Oh, and the signs that tell us not to drink alcohol in public.

Where does it all stop?

LINK

6. Touting

(1) No person shall in any street, open area or foreshore:-

(a) tout, advertise, solicit custom or otherwise importune any person for any service or event; or

(b) tout or otherwise importune any person for the purpose of taking or selling

any photograph, image or likeness in such a manner as to cause obstruction or give reasonable grounds for annoyance to any person in the street, open area or foreshore.

(2) The local authority may grant permission, subject to certain conditions, which may include:-

(i) organisers and persons taking part in distribution of leaflets to ensure that discarded leaflets are retrieved so as to prevent littering of the streets; and/or

(ii) such organisers and persons to remain in certain areas thus minimising the possibility of obstruction, nuisance or annoyance being caused to members of the public in the street or open area.

So does this mean that the God-botherers have to get permission before importuning innocent passers-by with their particular version of 'The Truth?' And does it mean that, when they shove one of their leaflets at me, I can safely discard it and enjoy the spectacle of them running along a windswept street to retrieve it?

Look on the positive side... some of these laws could be fun! :)

Archived