[BBC News] Authority warning over burnt kite

Newsbot

Bring back the 1970s public safety adverts.

Wasnt there one about swimming in quarry pools or something like that...just seem to have a vague memory of the grim reaper and his black cloak for some reason.

Between that and Threads it pretty much shitted me up for my early years!!

I remember that one, it went: "I am the spirit of dark and lonely water"

A kite owner has a lucky escape after trying to remove it from an overhead power line in the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7037880.stm

About a dozen properties were left without power after the incident on Monday evening.

---------------------------------

And our property was one of the dozen affected!

I was particularly upset because I had an AI driver on Forza 2 on lap 39 of 40 when the power went off - grrr!

Then I had to do an emergency run up to the in-laws to microwave my daughter's bedtime bottle, it was ever so exciting, we got some candles out and pretended we were the last survivors of a nuclear war.

In all fairness to the MEA, total downtime wasn't much more than an hour, it does make you realise how dependent you are on electricity though.

The only good thing about it was that after three and a half years of having absolutely bugger all to do, the UPS I bought for my PC finally got a chance to kick in. So that was well worth £200 then.

Wasnt there one about swimming in quarry pools or something like that...just seem to have a vague memory of the grim reaper and his black cloak for some reason.

I remember that one, it went: "I am the spirit of dark and lonely water"

here it is

I think from memory the grim reaper was voiced by Donald Pleasance and goes something like "These children are doomed!", in a reassuring kind of way. :)

All ace stuff but my favourite was the dude with the drill who used matchsticks for a plug & got frazzled. I've been scared to use those white & silver/gold style drills since!

Sure there was a sequel too where something comes to help and gets cooked as well, but I may have imagined it....

And to stay on the old school stuff - Return of the Saint is on at the moment. Ace!

Archived