[BBC News] Authority warning over burnt kite

Newsbot

Bring back the 1970s public safety adverts.

Wasnt there one about swimming in quarry pools or something like that...just seem to have a vague memory of the grim reaper and his black cloak for some reason.

Between that and Threads it pretty much shitted me up for my early years!!

I remember that one, it went: "I am the spirit of dark and lonely water"

here it is

"I'll be back ack ack ack ack"

That freaked me out as a kid.... :ermm:

Wasnt there one about swimming in quarry pools or something like that...just seem to have a vague memory of the grim reaper and his black cloak for some reason.

here it is

Me too, one of the defining features of 80's broadcasting was that much of it was designed to terrify children. It got to the point where you couldn't even watch Pigeon Street without worrying Carla the long distance lorry driver might plough through the street on a drunken rampage and turn the whole thing into an animated episode of Casualty.

I gave up in the end and started watching only U.S. films, which were far less disturbing. To this day my cavalier attitude towards the dangers of electricity pylons can be blamed on 'Adventures in Babysitting' - I figure that whatever trouble I get into, some old fashioned sass will bail me out.

Bring back the 1970s public safety adverts.

here it is

Thats the one...thanks for undoing years of psycho-therapy. Looking back though quite why the kids just managed to drown the minute they hit the water is beyond me. Anyway, if I can just get over the film Threads now I will be happy!!!

Archived