[BBC News] Airport unveils VIP terminal plan

Newsbot

All going on about the "tax payers" money....the reverse charged VAT from one decent sized corporate jet structured through the IOM will cover the costs in a heartbeat.....

so vat of 40 million on one decent sized corporate jet??? i don't class low hour 747's as corporate jets...

Where's the £40million coming from dude? Article says it will cost £4million.....

most airports have such facilities, you get what you pay for. i.e. they pay to use it surely.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

providing this is a private initiative I have no problem with VIP facilities, I do however think we are edging closer to the 'real' need for a runway extension which no current commercial outfit needs.

If you work at a business plan for the runway extension costings it does not add up in any way, however there is a real drive to do this for reasons which are at the moment unclear !

Airport bosses say it would allow them to offer a discrete, high quality and efficient service ...

So are we common clods going to suffer an indiscrete, low quality and inefficient service then?

I think you're confusing discrete and discreet

I this case they mean discrete as in seperate, i.e. not part of the main terminal

All going on about the "tax payers" money....the reverse charged VAT from one decent sized corporate jet structured through the IOM will cover the costs in a heartbeat.....

so vat of 40 million on one decent sized corporate jet??? i don't class low hour 747's as corporate jets...

Where's the £40million coming from dude? Article says it will cost £4million.....

its coming from the 'runway extension' part of my original post, nothing to do with a get rich quick scheme by private investors. and that is based on the 37 million guesstimate, just like the power station it will be millions more than the original quote if ever completed. so what i was trying to say is that the so called need for a new extension to the RUNWAY, is actually to do with this 4 million quid private scheme and nothing to do with commercial airlines as those in the know before todays public announcement were spouting.

I don't see the link. The seriously rich types that you see coming here (Jim Mellon, Eddie Davies) have private jets. These are much smaller than the aircraft that FlyMaybe and Euromanx use, and I'd be amazed if they needed a runway extension. Plus I doubt that they will spend their time waiting to board their aircraft in executive lounges.

My understanding is that the new facilities are a completely private initiative. They believe business travellers (not gazillionnaires) will pay a little more for the ability to use them (just as they do when buying business class tickets).

My understanding is that the new facilities are a completely private initiative. They believe business travellers (not gazillionnaires) will pay a little more for the ability to use them (just as they do when buying business class tickets).

Not so sure. If the private jet register takes off (as it might) they are going to need this sort of facility in the longer term as they're going to want to filter two different sets of plane users through two different facilities.

Not so sure. If the private jet register takes off (as it might) they are going to need this sort of facility in the longer term as they're going to want to filter two different sets of plane users through two different facilities.

i think that the new manx plane register effort will be just like the ship version. lots of things registered here that never frequent the area. i think that aircraft have to be inspected before they can go on the register but that may not have to take place at reynoldsway either!

The fact that planes are registerered in the IoM does not mean there owners etc are going to fly on them here. There is no requirement to.

i think that the new manx plane register effort will be just like the ship version. lots of things registered here that never frequent the area. i think that aircraft have to be inspected before they can go on the register but that may not have to take place at reynoldsway either!

So rather like that non-existent super yacht that turned up in the bay this summer and was reported upon everywhere? That sort of never frequenting.

If there is evidence of demand for such a facility then there is a strong case to go ahead. Plenty of other airports have VIP facilities and I don't see why Ronaldsway should be any different.

The conference centre sounds interesting as well - again if there is evidence of demand for such a facility.

But what about the impact on climate change of encouraging this "global trend for people to fly privately"?

Is any effort going to be made to reduce the carbon footprint of the terminal - and perhaps encourage these private users to offset the emissions from their travel to and from the island. Maybe a fund could be established to encourage users of the terminal to help finance a renewables programme on the island?

The reality of personal jet travel is not sitting around in a lounge quaffing chilled champagne

These people are busy and are normally picked up from the steps of the plane by car, then driven to whatever business they are on and dropped back to the waiting jet

Why would anyone with that kind of money want to waste time going through an executive terminal if they could just get straight into the car ?

Airport bosses say it would allow them to offer a discrete, high quality and efficient service ...

So are we common clods going to suffer an indiscrete, low quality and inefficient service then?

We already do.

Archived