5 Months Of Road Works At Airport

maggle

Wish they'd improve the visibility on the northern roundabout - driving from Ballasalla to Castletown you can't see a thing. All the srubbery gets in the way - you can't see cars going into the airport until you are right up to the roundabout entrance.

Month 1 - Set up 20 MPH Speed Limit signs, traffic lights and cones.

Month 2 - Move all necessary equipment to coned off section within traffic lights.

Month 3 - Inform workers that site is now ready to be "improved"

Month 4 - Sit in traffic every day and watch 20 men in hi-vis jackets drink tea and chat.

Month 5 - Work comences on "improvements"

Month 6 - Delays due to weather conditions have caused "improvements" to be extended

Month 7 - "Improvements" completed and gradual opening of sections start with the movement of equipment to another project that requires "improvements"

Month 8 - Motorists inspect "improvements" and wonder why the road has more bumps and potholes than before the "improvements"

Month 9 - Road gets dug up again because someone needs to lay a pipe on that section of road

Month 10 - Cones and traffic lights gradually move along the "improved" road whilst new pipe gets installed.

Month 11 - Motorists start to get excited as they see that the work on the pipe is nearly at the end of the road.

Month 12 - Pipe work is completed, traffic lights and cones are removed and road is now as rough as hell.

Return to Month 1 and start again.

Stav.

As its a complete road build - from the soil up, so I think its reasonable. The road has no foundations, or as it ever had.

If they were closing the road completely, and doing it as a one hit job, then , yes, its a long time.

They are doing it a bit at a time, stopping during 'rush 30 mins' in an attempt to keep the road open. Full road closure will be at the end of the project, and limited to night times only.

.. so 5 months, stopping for Lexus yummy mummy at King Bills, Douglas work traffic AM and PM, Ladies what lunch and locals does not seem to be to long a time for what is a complete new road build.

x in man has got it right and i think its not stopping at king bills thats just phase 1 it will finish at alexander bridge castletown .. if the dot could just shut the road and not let one car through you would find it would be done in a matter of weeks but you cant do that the public need access .

Wish they'd improve the visibility on the northern roundabout - driving from Ballasalla to Castletown you can't see a thing. All the srubbery gets in the way - you can't see cars going into the airport until you are right up to the roundabout entrance.

I think there's a question in Tynwald next week about this topic.

I emailed the dot about this cus when I worked at the airport I was nearly taken out 3 times in a week from cars not stopping coming from Ballasalla and I was very worried there would be a serious crash there. All I said was cud the shrubbery on the right as u come from ballasalla be lowered or removed from the last 5-10 yards. I was told that people should drive within their limits and if they cant see oncoming traffic they should slow down enough to be able to stop in time... :rolleyes:

Thats likes saying noone should kill anyone ... yes they shouldnt, but its always going to happen.

I emailed the dot about this cus when I worked at the airport I was nearly taken out 3 times in a week from cars not stopping coming from Ballasalla and I was very worried there would be a serious crash there. All I said was cud the shrubbery on the right as u come from ballasalla be lowered or removed from the last 5-10 yards. I was told that people should drive within their limits and if they cant see oncoming traffic they should slow down enough to be able to stop in time... :rolleyes:

Thats likes saying noone should kill anyone ... yes they shouldnt, but its always going to happen.

Near where I live, there was a major roundabout which interupted a major dual carriageway. When they revamped the roundabout, they weren't even as subtle as adding hedges. They added 8ft mesh screens, so you couldn't see what you were giving way to. This apparently, was to encourage cars to slow down. Now I thought roundabouts were designed to aid the flow of traffic, not to get them to a crawl, then maybe it's safe to proceed, oh hang on...WATCH OUT!!! :crying:

Less than 5 years on, the roundabout is no more, and has now been replaced with a flyover junction.

But the planners will not admit they were in the wrong even until this day.

Living in Castletown and working in Ballasalla, i come across that roundabout daily, and it does need something doing about the greenery in the middle of it, as said, you cant whats coming from the other side.

Rather Annoying

The trouble with a lot of the manx roads is they are so old that they are basically built ontop of old cart and horse roads.

The D.O.T are having to start from scratch here so this is why it will take so long.

In the UK most roads have been built right properly and this is why they can resuface them so fast.

Basically they plane of the old worn tarmac and then lay a new layer.

I just hope they start widening a few roads to because these wagons nowadays are getting bigger and bigger.

They reckon a lot of the problem with the roads is due to heavy wagons because the islands roads are not built to take it.

Archived